Super Contributor

Any special traditions on your New Years Eve menu?

DH and I have Gruyère cheese fondue and baked salmon in the air fryer.  Was delicious!

Respected Contributor

Re: Any special traditions on your New Years Eve menu?

We do Surf and Turf, with each year selecting a different type of seafood and meat.  🦀🍖

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Esteemed Contributor

I always have lentils on NYE. It's an Italian tradition,

Honored Contributor

Not here; we are not a fan of traditions with anything.  

Honored Contributor

We have snacks laid on for later, @Coastalcarolina --   every year, we have fancy crackers, Hunstman cheese (the combo of English Stilton and Double Gloucester in one cheese).  Also, for NY Eve treats, got chocolate mints,  maple sugar candy, chips, of course chips!   Forgot dip!   Will make ginger ale "Horse's Necks",  with the addition of lemon slices.

I have some black-eyed peas lying around, and am thinking of making traditional black-eyed peas tomorrow...

Honored Contributor

I had a toasted bagel thin.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

@OznellTidbits is what I like to do too.   Good cheese and crackers is perfect.  Maple Sugar Candy! You've got good taste!

I had to look up that cocktail.  I admit just for a second I misread the name,  Instead of Horse's Neck,  I saw Horse's NeckTie! Smiley Surprised  My mother would say that to spare us kids delicate ears so I couldn't see it as a Cocktail name!

That Horse's Neck though, That sounds a bright and Bubbly toast to the New Year!

All the best to you and yours in 2023!

Honored Contributor

Thank you and to you too, @candys mine !   There's a classic, moody film noir with Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame, "In a Lonely Place".   Which you may have seen.  In it, jaded screenwriter Bogie is discussing a novel, a possible film project, with a young woman in his apartment.  She requests a Horse's Neck to drink, which was the first I ever heard of it.  We don't have pop that often, but now for "fizzy" occasions, we have to have a Horse's Neck, like "Mildred" (I think that was her name) in the movie....

Valued Contributor

@Coastalcarolina 

Any traditions I have I do just for me.  This year, it's just the herring in sour cream that I'll nibble on during the day.

My husband's family doesn't do anything special for New Years.   They go all out Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  

My mom set up a buffet for just the three of us that was fit for a king.  I'd do something similar, but my husband is strictly a meat and potatoes guy so I'd be eating it all myself.  

Happy New Year!

Valued Contributor

I had a piece of leftover DiGiorno's.  Cuz I'm fancy like that.