Respected Contributor

Re: Any really good mysteries?

It's a good mystery and not gorey, but I have to say it did make me want to stay awake to get to the next chapter. It's an old fashioned mystery.
Respected Contributor

I just finished That Night by Chevy Stevens. It was really good. I had never heard of the author, but I am going to start on another of her books.

Esteemed Contributor

Lisa Gardner has had some really good books....and i am also on my second Michael Robotham book which is very good..........................you may want to look some of their books up...

Frequent Contributor

I love Jonathan Kellerman's books and also Lisa Gardner.

Valued Contributor

THE GOOD GIRL by Mary Kubica is excellent!!

Trusted Contributor

The serial killer with the heart of gold Dexter series. And fabulous Rachael Knight series by "the" Marcia Clark. (I tried Richard Patterson, & I wasted my $$. I don't get it...)
Honored Contributor

If you liked Gone Girl, try Presumed Innocent, by Scott Turow or Gone, Baby, Gone by Dennis LeHane. Mystic River is also by LeHane and very good.

I really like the Harry Bosch series, by Michael Connelly. Elizabeth George and Laura Lippman are also excellent writers.

Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets is non-fiction by David Simon, creator of the TV series Homicide: Line of the Streets and The Wire. It's fantastic. The Murder of the Century: The Gilded Age Crime that Scandalized a City and Sparked the Tabloid Wars by Paul Collins is another non-fiction book that's wonderful. If you think the media is bad today, you will not BELIEVE what Pulitzer and Hearst got up to when they owned the top newspapers in New York.

I love anything by Carl Hiaason. My favorite's are Skin Tight, Basket Case, and Strip Tease.

Megan Abbot writes noir crime fiction set mostly in the 1940s, like much of hardboiled detective fiction.Her earlier works are better, so check out Queenpin or The Song is You.

Trusted Contributor

You might want to try John Sandford and J.A. Jance.

Respected Contributor

All these books sound so interesting!

Valued Contributor

These are probably not your type of mystery, but I am a whimp so I stay with cozy mysteries. I am waiting for more Joanne Fluke books to come out. (I like food and cooking{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I recently discovered the series by Mary Daheim ( I like bed and breakfast settings.) The mother and cousin are hilarious in these books, but still have a good mystery to them.

Of course there is always Janet Evanovich books. Another series good for laughs.

I am a chicken when it comes to blood and gore, so these are my type of mysteries. And I would not be embarrassed for a teen or mother to read these.