Respected Contributor

Re: Any really good mysteries?

On 2/10/2015 mima said:

I'm reading The Girl on the Train right now! It's really good! I'll be watching for suggestions for the future too! Thanks for starting the thread.

just looked on Amazon..there were two titles. Who wrote Girl on. The train?? I'm I.intrigued by the title and the posts recommending this one. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

On 2/13/2015 birkin baby said:
On 2/10/2015 mima said:

I'm reading The Girl on the Train right now! It's really good! I'll be watching for suggestions for the future too! Thanks for starting the thread.

just looked on Amazon..there were two titles. Who wrote Girl on. The train?? I'm I.intrigued by the title and the posts recommending this one. Thanks!
Okay...duh me... I read the descriptions and it was clear. It sounds good. I'm gonna download a sample.
Honored Contributor

On 2/13/2015 nomar said:

These are probably not your type of mystery, but I am a whimp so I stay with cozy mysteries. I am waiting for more Joanne Fluke books to come out. (I like food and cooking{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

I recently discovered the series by Mary Daheim ( I like bed and breakfast settings.) The mother and cousin are hilarious in these books, but still have a good mystery to them.

Of course there is always Janet Evanovich books. Another series good for laughs.

I am a chicken when it comes to blood and gore, so these are my type of mysteries. And I would not be embarrassed for a teen or mother to read these.

You might also want to check out Daheim's "Alpine" series. Of the two, I actually prefer this one, but I started it first, which I think makes a difference. The B&B series is great fun too!

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Super Contributor

If you like the lighter (cozy) mysteries, there is a website you should visit: www.Cozy-mystery.com. Also, my library has an excellent website that sorts new acquisitions by types and gives a description so that's how I find most of mine and I currently have 39 books that I have lined up ready to read when I click on the button to have them set aside for me. There are dozens and dozens of excellent mystery writers so it's hard to just pick a few. I will try to come up with a list as I think of them because I've had others ask me as well. I suggest trying to read the series ones in order if possible (check pub. date or go on the author's website).

Lighter ones: Elm Creek Quilters series by Chiaverini, Jennifer. Savannah Reid series by G.A. McKevette, Judge Deborah Knott series by Margaret Maron, author Laurien Berenson has series about dog trainer and dog shows, Laura Childs tea shop mysteries, Joanne Fluke cookie shop ones with Hannah Swensen.

More graphic: Kathy Reichs "Bones" series (nothing like the TV show), Tess Gerritsen "Rizzoli & Isles series, Linda LaPlante,

A good book (but don't think it's classified as a mystery) is "All the Light we Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr. If you haven't read "The Boys in the Boat" it's an excellent true story about an Olympic rowing team in the late 30's.

These should keep you going a few years!

I'll send more if I can find a misplaced list I had somewhere but mostly I just browse the library website and onsite sites like Goodreads, etc.

Frequent Contributor

Another vote for girl on a train-reading it right now.

Valued Contributor

stevieb....can you tell me more about the Alpine series? Different characters I presume? Funny at times? I have seen them advertised in the B & B series, but did not know much about them.

My stepdaughter wants me to start reading the Margaret Coel Native American Crime series. She became hooked on those. Of course she lives very close to the location of these stories and taught on the reservation. I have some bought but they are not in order and will start them someday. Anyone read those and have thoughts about the stories?

Respected Contributor

On 2/10/2015 mima said:

Okay...duh me... I read the descriptions and it was clear. It sounds good. I'm gonna download a sample.

Author is Paula Hawkins. Sorry, I have been gone for a few days!

Respected Contributor

Defending Jacob was a huge bestseller approximately 2 years ago. I cannot remember the author's name, but it was a great read.

Valued Contributor

Any Peter Robinson,DCI Banks, novels
Respected Contributor

Heard part of an interview with James Ellroy. Quite a character. Anybody read him?