Super Contributor

Re: Any "retirees" here who worked PT?

@RinaRina wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

Is that the same job that you had issues with when a manager left suddenly?

=========================

I don't remember.

I change jobs a lot -- because I can.

However, I've never been "laid off".

When all this is over, I'll have 2 choices:

1-stay home or

2-do something else

As I previously posted, I got a new drill.

I've got enuf work to do IN the house to keep me busy for a year.

My only problem is, for me personally, it's kind of isolating.

You worked 15 hours a week?  Imagine those of us who work 50 hours plus a week, travel as well for work...how isolated do you think all of us feel??

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@RinaRina I've retired from 37 years of teaching high school and have been in retail for 10 years.  I looked at what I taught and went straight into working in a similar area.

I absolutely love the people I see.  So many of my former students are in health care I get to see them.  I also talk to a lot on FB.

@ECBG,

R U still in retail?  Do you think your company will stay in business?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Respected Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Apply for unemployment.  I think you will get some money plus the $600 per week.  Donate and/or use it to expand your hobbies old or new.  What about using the very best yarn for a change?

===============================================

I've got so much yarn, I could open a crafts store. 

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Trusted Contributor

I retired June, 2018, from a local school district.  I was secretary to the Principal.  The following year I subbed in 2 school districts and was lucky enough to pretty much work the full school year into July (still staying under the $$$ limit as I was collecting a NYS pension). 

After dad passed in May, 2020, I moved out of state.  I'm collecting SS and my pension but actually work 2 jobs.  I subbed in our local school district about 2x per week as a teacher's aide.  I also worked 3 days per week at a local jewelry store.  I needed to get out and talk to people and I enjoyed both.

At this point, I'm not sure if school will reopen this year, but I thnk the stores will be back up by Memorial day.  I'm ready.  Looking forward to wearing mascara again!Woman Wink

Be safe!

Respected Contributor

@roeroe1005 wrote:

I subbed in our local school district about 2x per week as a teacher's aide.  I also worked 3 days per week at a local jewelry store.  I needed to get out and talk to people and I enjoyed both.

At this point, I'm not sure if school will reopen this year, but I thnk the stores will be back up by Memorial day.  I'm ready.  Looking forward to wearing mascara again!Woman Wink

Be safe!

==============================================

That's great.  I don't have enuf energy to do all that ... but the little bit I was doing helped a lot. It took the edge off of feeling isolated.

Trusted Contributor

I worked for 10 months last year at a temporary job.  I made just under the amount to still collect my Social Security with no penalty.  I enjoyed it, but I'm 65 now and it was just about "too much" for me, physically.

I understand about missing being up and out the door.  I was planning on working a couple of months with the census this year, but who knows when they'll start on it now.  

Frequent Contributor

I retired in December 2018.  In January 2019 I went to work in the school cafeteria.   I work 15 hours per week.   Even though the schools have been shut down for the reminder of the school year I am still working.   Right now we are making breakfast and lunches for kids in need.   

Respected Contributor

This is my retirement plan.  I am 60 and still working FT, but when the time comes I want to get a PT office gig.  Something simple, like data entry or billing.    I would miss the social interactions of a job (at least I think I would).

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

No desire to find something to keep me occupied. After working full time for 37 years, I was ready to leave the workforce and took an early retirement. I can understand that "people persons" might need some additional human interaction.

Super Contributor

@RinaRina  I am a retired elementary teacher. I work part time as substitute teacher. Texas schools have shut down until August. I tend to go to the same schools so I do miss the students and teachers. I am very grateful for my pension. My rent is paid and I have plenty of food. I am able to pay my bills. I do find staying home very isolating. I am not an extrovert but I do need daily social interaction with others. Talking on the phone or texting is not the same. I am by nature a rule follower so I only go out for groceries, pharmacy, and laundromat. Twice a week for about a hour or so. I do take walks but rarely see others. Everyone is ready to get out and about. I figure I probably have another month of self isolation.