Respected Contributor

Re: Any one lift weights for bone strength

@ProudMa  you inspired me to try a suitcase carry with one of my husband’s bowling balls in a bag.Worked great!

Respected Contributor

I really like using the weight machines at the gym. Not the free weights, but the "resistance" ones that let you adjust the weights as you progress. DH and I really got back into our gym routine in June. Since then, I've worked up to 25 or 40 pounds, depending on the machine and body part. This weekend, I realized that I've got muscles in my upper arms !  💪🏻  (this is only a slight exaggeration). 

From a health perspective, I had a bone density test last month. Everything came out fine, except for one disc that left a little to be desired. My doctor told me to continue working out with weights. This provides a little more incentive for us to go to the gym every other day.

Honored Contributor

Not for "bone strength".......

for MUSCLE POWER (!!!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

I carry 5 or 10 pond weights and wear wrap=around ten pound weights on each ankle when I do my daily walk.Sometimes I alternate walking with weights with running/jogging.without weights.

Respected Contributor

I've been lifting weights and xercising for almost 40 years.  I began when I quit smoking at the age of 25.  I ran for 35 years, but mostly now I walk or bike.  I do a 20-30 min. light weight routine daily alternating body parts.

The heaviest weights I lift now are 10 lbs. but I used to go heavier.  Not sure how my bones are.  I did have a mishap recently where I banged my shoulder really hard, knew I hurt it bad and after 2 weeks went to the Dr., but it wasn't broken.  Just really bad contusion and strained ligaments.  Ouch!!!

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

I have been lifting weights for years for various reasons, probably the main one was for my Figure Skating.  A better way to build bone density is bone loading weight-bearing exercises.  Your body is the weight and the bone loading is things like stomping, jumping, etc.  That's why jumping in Figure Skating is good for the bones and not as hard on the body as high impact aerobics at least with the smaller jumps, no jarring.  I couldn't do high impact aerobics because it gave me shin splints, but jumping while skating didn't cause that problem.  I also alternate between running and walking for a mile on the track at the gym, which would do the same.  

I still ended up with osteopenia, assuming the test was correct, maybe beause I'm smaller (5' 2") and have a thyroid disorder where osteoporosis is a side effect.  I started taking bamboo supplements and my next test came out great.

I'm also a big proponent of doing balance exercises. I make time for them every time I go to the gym.  One of the main reasons for broken bones in the elderly is falls, and if you notice how older people walk, you can see why.  They can't trust their balance, so they widen their stance and take smaller steps. 

I did break my arm several years ago while skating and I got the "you're getting to that age" speech, so I had my first bone density test and at that time I was told I was dense. I told them the ice was hard and so was my fall.  That was before my thyroid diagnosis.

Honored Contributor

I'm 67 and have been doing weight and resistance training for about 10 years. My bone scan was outstanding!

Respected Contributor

I've been doing weights for a long time.  I used to go to gyms and used machines and free weights.  But, lately I've been doing weights and cardio at home.  It does make a difference not only in your bones but how you look.

And, it makes you feel good.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ankle weights are great but not to wear while walking. Ankle weights can pull on joints as you walk and cause stress especially to the knees. Ankle weights are best used while you're stationary, for instance sitting or laying down. 

If you want to add weight while walking, try wearing a weighted belt,  a backpack loaded with something heavy or wear a weighted vest made specifically for exercising. It's best to keep the added weight close to your center of balance.

Be careful while weight lifting. Avoid injuries by doing it the right way.

Valued Contributor

How far do you walk carrying the kettle bells?