Super Contributor

Any one lift weights for bone strength

im 70, and started 4 years ago to lift weights...my bones were like swiss cheese

I bench press and "Farmer carry"...walk with kettle bells...im up to walking with (2) 18 lb bells

I had a bone density scan...MD was astonished....

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any one lift weights for bone strength

@ProudMa wrote:

im 70, and started 4 years ago to lift weights...my bones were like swiss cheese

I bench press and "Farmer carry"...walk with kettle bells...im up to walking with (2) 18 lb bells

I had a bone density scan...MD was astonished....

@ProudMa   I do.  I had a Dr. tell me that lifting weights help wake your bone up.  I was told 25 years ago that I had the bones of a 80 year old.  I could not tolerate the bone meds.  They almost killed me.   I started lifting and I never went back for a bone density again.  I have fallen off a ladder going to attic, and I fell out of a tree.  LOL   NOTHING BROKE   Meds. are a big money maker.  Glad to see you tried something natural.

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa   Good for you.  I occsionally lift weights but only 5 lbs.

18 lbs!!...That's remarkable!.  Is 'farmer carry' mean one in each hand?  Do you walk your neighborhood with the kettle balls?

I should do more as I have osteoperosis, not horrible but again, should increase weight bearing exericses.  I do have a rebounder that I use.

Honored Contributor

@ProudMa   You are an awesome warrior!  One of the best things you can do for your health!  Stay strongSmiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I met my now DH at the gym 15 years ago. I like to lift free weights with the guys. 😄 Much more interesting. 😂 I’m quite muscular but not bulky. I’ve always done heavier weights to failure (vs lighter weights and more reps).
Super Contributor

Farmer carry is one kettle bell in each hand

I started with (2) 5 lb bells
Now carry 18lb bell in each hand

Hubby is proud of me, I’m 100% polish.. and he remembers my grandmother coming down the street with a black leather shopping bag in each hand from the market … he says I’m doing what is genetic for me!!
Honored Contributor

Good for you @ProudMa . I've lifted weights most of my life...building muscles for gymnastics from childhood through college. I still work out with 5 lbs. each, but lots of reps. It IS fantastic to keep bones strong. 

Respected Contributor

I’ve lifted weights on and off throughout my life but haven’t been doing it lately. You’ve inspired me to start back up 😁!

Esteemed Contributor

You go @ProudMa   Yes lifting is so important. Keep it up. 💪 

Respected Contributor

Wow and wow...that's awesome! I have exercised or been athletic since I was 14. I'm 65 and I still run and WAS lifting weights until covid hit and we quit the gym after that. We just got a Peleton Bike and We are in workout heaven. The spin classes are great and NO PEOPLE huffing, puffing and germing all over you. You have inspired me to get back into the strength trainings with Peleton. We just got new free weights and while running is great, I need to start lifting again.  

Good stuff Proudma...keep it up.  You should be "proudMa" of YOU!