Valued Contributor

Re: Any one lift weights for bone strength

@ProudMa wrote:

im 70, and started 4 years ago to lift weights...my bones were like swiss cheese

I bench press and "Farmer carry"...walk with kettle bells...im up to walking with (2) 18 lb bells

I had a bone density scan...MD was astonished....

@ProudMa  Congratulations on your improved bone density.  I walk every day and my oncologist recommended weight bearing exercises.  Your wonderful efforts just may be the push I need to use resistance bands or weights.  Thank you for your post!
Respected Contributor

@shy bobcat wrote:

@ProudMa wrote:

im 70, and started 4 years ago to lift weights...my bones were like swiss cheese

I bench press and "Farmer carry"...walk with kettle bells...im up to walking with (2) 18 lb bells

I had a bone density scan...MD was astonished....

@ProudMa  Congratulations on your improved bone density.  I walk every day and my oncologist recommended weight bearing exercises.  Your wonderful efforts just may be the push I need to use resistance bands or weights.  Thank you for your post!

Walking is a weight bearing exercise!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Super Contributor

Yes! My bone scan results in the spring indicated I was at risk for osteo. I joined the YMCA and participate in pilates, zumba, balance class and silver sneakers cardio. In addition to getting my heart rate up, I'm getting strength training and improving flexibility with my classes. I love the activity and expect to see improved results in the next bone scan. I have not been this active in 25 years and really like being around all ages of people trying to improve their health. Congrats to you on what you've accomplished with weight lifting!
Valued Contributor

ProudMa -    would you mind stating how far you walk carrying kettle bells - is it around the  house,  on your normal walk outside?  What distance?

Respected Contributor

@ProudMa   Yes, I do.  I lift weights 3 times a week.  Helps keep my arms and legs toned.  💪🏋

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Respected Contributor

I have been doing cardio with weights for a long time. I always wanted to be able to carry my own groceries and keep my balance. As we age, it is amazing how fast we can lose our conditioning, so good for you! It will help you retain quality of life.
Respected Contributor

Wow, you rock!

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ankle weights are great but not to wear while walking. Ankle weights can pull on joints as you walk and cause stress especially to the knees. Ankle weights are best used while you're stationary, for instance sitting or laying down. 

If you want to add weight while walking, try wearing a weighted belt,  a backpack loaded with something heavy or wear a weighted vest made specifically for exercising. It's best to keep the added weight close to your center of balance.

Be careful while weight lifting. Avoid injuries by doing it the right way.

I've walked wearing ankle weights off and on for years and years. My pals always complemented me on my toned legs Smiley Happy 

I've never had any complications or pain from it. Having read your post, though, I better quit while I'm ahead.

Honored Contributor

@Silver Lining wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Ankle weights are great but not to wear while walking. Ankle weights can pull on joints as you walk and cause stress especially to the knees. Ankle weights are best used while you're stationary, for instance sitting or laying down. 

If you want to add weight while walking, try wearing a weighted belt,  a backpack loaded with something heavy or wear a weighted vest made specifically for exercising. It's best to keep the added weight close to your center of balance.

Be careful while weight lifting. Avoid injuries by doing it the right way.

I've walked wearing ankle weights off and on for years and years. My pals always complemented me on my toned legs Smiley Happy 

I've never had any complications or pain from it. Having read your post, though, I better quit while I'm ahead.

@Silver Lining, yes, I have read exactly what @SilleeMee posted.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@D Kay wrote:

ProudMa -    would you mind stating how far you walk carrying kettle bells - is it around the  house,  on your normal walk outside?  What distance?

KB carries are fairly short distances. Maybe 50 yards at the most. I use a single 50 lb KB for a suitcase carry (as well as deadlifts and sumo squats), 2 40lb KB's for farmer carries, and a single 30 lb KB for waiter carries. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~