Honored Contributor

Any one familiar with this ?

I got a postcard like letter in the mail from nextdoor.com saying all the neighbors on our street were using a free private online network to keep all the neighbors up on what was going on in regards to safety concerns, local events, what somebody has for sale/free, service provider recommendations, etc.

You go to website and type in a code they sent you to verify and join the network.

Sounds good , but, I'm always skeptical as to whether it's 'phishing', or really just neighbors helping one another.

Anybody else belong or have any information if this is really innocent or something sinister down the road?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any one familiar with this ?

Hi @SharkE

It sounds fishy to me, and that ultimately there would be a fee.

Why not ask your neighbors? 

Respected Contributor

@SharkE I belonged to something like this called NextDoor. I say belonged b/c it became a pain to keep up with. I unsubscribed.

Honored Contributor

@SharkEIf "everyone" is joining, it should be easy to find out!  Talk to a few neighbors.

But anyone else grow up with parents who didn't believe or even care for a minute if "everyone" was going to the carnival or the dance or the game?  That word pretty much never got me anywhere!

Honored Contributor

I signed up for this probably a year ago, but I belong to a closed neighborhood group on FaceBook and never use NextDoor.

I like being connected to my neighbors.    I see posts about burglaries, lost pets, traffic problems, fish fry's, you name it, someone posts about it.   I like my FaceBook group I don't see the need to use NextDoor

@SharkE

Honored Contributor

I'm no spring chicken and maybe down the road it would be nice to have somebody handy to help me with some odd job, house cleaning, replacing smoke detector batteries, etc.  I don't want to climb ladder. LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I got one last week or the week before.

When you type the code in, up comes your address - so any identifying information on the card was blacked out and into the garbage it went.

I didn't finish the sign up process.

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

I signed up for this probably a year ago, but I belong to a closed neighborhood group on FaceBook and never use NextDoor.

I like being connected to my neighbors.    I see posts about burglaries, lost pets, traffic problems, fish fry's, you name it, someone posts about it.   I like my FaceBook group I don't see the need to use NextDoor

@SharkE

I belong to a closed group for my town on Facebook also. I see the same things you are talking about. Love it as it is very helpful,lost pets, trouble in town,etc. I wouldn't do the Next Door thing.

Honored Contributor

I got one neighbor I talked to on occasion I can ask her if she received 1

People don't talk like they used to you know.

I'm in nice neighborhood and don't want to invite in the wrong element why I"m proceeding with caution.

Have a husband that still does odd jobs around the house when he's not part time working, but, sometimes I wonder what I would do if he would pass.

(just a worrier) don't have kids and living in new area.

Honored Contributor

I got a notice of that about a year ago. I forget how it came but I didn't join either after seeing the information required which I din't feel comfortable having strangers know-address, phone number email etc.

And then never heard about it again. I think it was either in the apt page or in some postcard.

And the person who organizes it has to keep it up. 

I think if you have a close neighborhood with neighbors you know, that is a good way to know about things you need to know about, rather than some organization you need a code for, sign up etc. Plus I'm sure people can advertise their own services, products on that kind of thing too and you may not want to be bombarded by that esp from people you may not know.

But then again, I don't have real experience with it cause I didn't sign up. I did read some people's comments about it when looked up reviews, and many were not good, as in no response to problems, inquiries.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"