Contributor

We are thinking of buying a new modular home so we can have a floor plan we love.  Does anyone live in one and has anyone had any issues with them?  Thanks.

Super Contributor

Re: Any live in a modular home?

My late inlaws lived in one for maybe 15 years. It was very spacious and cozy.

I would do alot of research on the builder and speak with anyone in the community if that is where you would be living. Check out the buidling products the builder will use etc. I remember going thru all their estate paperwork finding the plans etc for their home. There was some paper work with regard to the flooring and varnish and potential health risks.

Trusted Contributor

About 6 years ago, my husband wanted to build a modular house on a vacant lot we had owned for many years.

At first, I didn't even know what this was, and I was leery, about how sturdy these things were.  I think I had them confused with othern types of homes.  I had to go look at examples, and talk to people who had had them built, etc.

I did talk to others and took a few tours, and my fears were put aside.

Fast forward 6 years, and I've been in this house, and absolutely no problems.  It's worked out fine for our needs, anyway.

Is this kind of a house not as good as a conventional stick built home?.  Well, I can see here there might be this argument, but it wasn't an issue fo rme, and so, I don't really know.  It was actually a reitement home, and a money-making issue, not a life and death issue.

Years after we built ours, there was a lot on TV with Bob Villa at the shore, where Hurricane Sandy destroyed many homes and there was a lot of rebuilding.  My impression was, that modular building may well be a really popular method of building.

Bottomline though, is I love this house, now that I'm in it. I cetainly can't tell it's been built in this fashion., and no problems whatsoever that I can tell you about.

Trusted Contributor

Before my husband became sick we looked at modular homes to put on our property.  We also talked to our bank.  At that time the gentleman said that they would rather give a mortgage on a modular than a stick house.   Contractors can hide a lot behind the walls and cut corners in their favor.   Modulars were regulated and each piece had to be built strong enough to be transported on rough highways to your building site.  The bank could be on the property to exam each piece before and after the pieces were put together to approve before each payment.

Down the road a neighbor put up a 2 story modular home several years ago.  It arrived in 4 pieces.  A crane put it together in no time.   A stranger would never guess it was a modular.  

Honored Contributor

Insurance will cost more for modular homes. They have a higher risk for damage and because it is limited on where you can place them, they have been known to have more theft claims.

Trusted Contributor

I also suggest checking with the city or area you're planning on building / placing this modular home. We wanted to buy a lot near a beach and put one there.

Their zoning demanded an architechural drawing and normally built dwelling.

We bailed on purchasing that lot.

Honored Contributor

My husbands sister lives in a beautiful 2 story modular home, with a full stand up finished attic for storage.   The downstairs rooms are large, and have high ceilings.   The only issue they've had with the house was replacing 3 sets of French doors that weathered badly and started leaking.   They placed, received, and returned 3 orders for replacement doors trying to get the correct size---which is an off size, and harder to find.   

My SIL had stone applied to the front of the house which is a super accent to the sage colored siding.   The house is really nice, and they love it, but now realize the inconvenience of a 2 story house with their new health issues.   

Respected Contributor

@hannah64

I have several friends who live in a modular home and they have beautiful homes.  Over the years they have added such things as a glass  sun porch, one added a wrap around porch, and one added a beautiful covered deck.  They have had no problems and  with improvements, the resale value has increased.  They are all in good areas with beautiful landscaping and anyone would be hard pressed to know that it's not stick built.   

You may remember the Jim Walter Homes that were popular for many years.  They had the best floor plans with the most efficient use of space I've ever seen. 

Do your homework, and you'll be fine.  

Valued Contributor

My family has lived in a "manufactured" home for 20+years.  They are unable to get a bank to refinance to lower the interest rate.

Frequent Contributor

We had one for almost 10 years with no problems.  My husband did a lot of research and he said that the way they are built is better then a standard home because they are usually moved in pieces.

You should do your research for loans, insurance and property taxes.  In our area, the assessors couldn't decide if our house was a mobile home and our tax bills were delayed.  We also found out that if we ever wanted to move the house, our city would Not issue us a permit to do so.  We heard that some lenders are not crazy about loaning money for these types of homes but we obtained a loan without any problems.

In the end, everything worked out fine and we did enjoy designing and living in our home and didn't have a problem selling it.

It's the little things.