Super Contributor

Re: Any landlords out there?

Two of my tenants pay by hand written check. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do it with automatic bill pay.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

@september okay -        shocked bad word - surprised at the thought = better?

Surprised is better but “not in approval”....even better.  If the tenants are younger...they’re all well aware of the various different ways to make payments to others without having bank account numbers.  

I just opened a new checking account, and they gave me all the info about zelle and warned about not ever giving anyone my account number 

Esteemed Contributor

Big print - just to clarify - checking account numbers are NO secret - every time you write a check to pay a debt - utility company, house painter, etc., your ACCOUNT NUMBER is on the lower left hand side of your check.  Who ever handles that check can obtain your bank account number.

Same for your deposit slip.

My tenants used this number -so they could enter the ......pay to.... portion of their banking screen. 

End of story.

Esteemed Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I’ve been a landlord for over 30 years.The only form of rent I accept is a check.I’ve never had a problem.I would never give a tenant my bank account number.

@NicksmomESQ .... I agree with you.... I also would never give anyone my bank account # .... there is too much “******” going on these days.

Honored Contributor

I write very few checks these days.  Only got an order of 10 for my new checking account and will use them sparingly.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flika13 wrote:

We  will be giving this tenant a notice of termination. If they continue to deposit a check into my account then that means I have accepted  the rent or another month  and that will void the termination.    

there is no safety issue with the tenant having my account number. They may only deposit money and not withdraw!    I believe the account the check is deposited to is listed on the back of the check.  

Sorry about the underlining

@Flika13   I have to give tenant a proper notice by law.   There are many reasons I could use but I am required, if there is no legal or obligatory reason to evict, to give them adequate notice.  In other words, I cannot just put them out in the street.  

There is a reason not to give a person your checking account number just like there is reason not to let them have your credit card.

Super Contributor

@Nonametoday 

We plan on selling the house before the end of the year. We will give the tenants the required 60 day notice. I am concerned that the tenant will continue to pay the rent or partial rent. If my bank accepts the rent, I have no control over this, then I will have to give the 60 day notice again.  Tenants who do not want to move may try this. 

I was was asking if there is an electronic payment method that I would need to approve the deposit instead of it being automatic. 

I never said I was going to evict them.  Anyone you have written a check to has your account and routing number. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

@Nonametoday 

We plan on selling the house before the end of the year. We will give the tenants the required 60 day notice. I am concerned that the tenant will continue to pay the rent or partial rent. If my bank accepts the rent, I have no control over this, then I will have to give the 60 day notice again.  Tenants who do not want to move may try this. 

I was was asking if there is an electronic payment method that I would need to approve the deposit instead of it being automatic. 

I never said I was going to evict them.  Anyone you have written a check to has your account and routing number.

why would the tenant refuse to move it you give them a 69 day notice. That makes no sense. Is there more to this story that you are not revealing?  I would not continue to pay rent if I am given notice. Something is off here.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flika13 wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Close the bank accout so they can no longer make a deposit. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Do you have a written lease with these tenants?  What does it say regarding how rent should be paid?   Is there an option to pay by check or is it only to be deposited into your account.

I think the only  way to avoid them depositing money into your account is to close the account.  They can theoretically only deposit $5 as a partial payment for their rent and it invalidates the eviction and you have to start all over with the 60 day notice.