Trusted Contributor

Re: Any landlords out there?

On 1/24/2015 Ford1224 said:

I can't seem to navigate that site, adelle. Everything I click on leads me back to the same first page and not the second page where one can search. There is a phone number I can call. I'll keep trying. Thanks again.

Have you gotten to this link? The homepage is confusing.

http://www.socialserve.com/tenant/index.html?state_id=4041&type=rental&accessibility=true&ch=NJ

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Respected Contributor

Ford, I only wanted to.jump in and say that I think it's great that you will share a home. It sounds like the search process has been difficult so far, but don t give up. I will send positive thoughts your way that the right place will turn up. I know you're working with an agent. What about doing a listing in the local papers? Or on Craigslist? Just a thought....
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: Ford, I only wanted to.jump in and say that I think it's great that you will share a home. It sounds like the search process has been difficult so far, but don t give up. I will send positive thoughts your way that the right place will turn up. I know you're working with an agent. What about doing a listing in the local papers? Or on Craigslist? Just a thought....

I wouldn't trust Craigslist, and she has been picking up the local Sunday paper, and the little township flyers and hasn't found anything so far. She just started that recently. It's hard for her to get out most days.

Realtors also are not that interested in rentals, they want to work for buyers. This is the third realtor we've worked with and so far she hasn't been able to find anything outside of the MLS listings, or she isn't bothering to look. The first two just never called, they sent listings and when we called and left messages (which is all you get . . VMs) they don't call back. It's really frustrating.

Thanks MarienK, for your positive thoughts . . . need them!!

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Hi Ford! I was thinking that you could place a listing in the paper of what you're looking for. Something like "Looking for rental..." and list your needs for what you want in a house. There might be something out there...especially if you widen the search area, as you've said you're doing. Just a thought. But, I will definitely send keep sending positive thoughts. Don't get discouraged. It's difficult now, but the right house will turn up. I've been through similar situations. I found what I was looking for when I least expected it! I know you're under a time constraint, but don't give up! Smiley Happy
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Honored Contributor

Ford, you can rent the stair chairlift. I did this for my mom in her home. The company charged installation, removal and one month's rent at the time of installation...about $800.00. It is about 125.00 per month. They bill monthly.

I called the company and asked if they serviced your area. They do not. You are too far. I can ask them for a recommendation, if you want.

Good luck!!

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

On 1/24/2015 dmod nj said:

Ford, you can rent the stair chairlift. I did this for my mom in her home. The company charged installation, removal and one month's rent at the time of installation...about $800.00. It is about 125.00 per month. They bill monthly.

I called the company and asked if they serviced your area. They do not. You are too far. I can ask them for a recommendation, if you want.

Good luck!!

Please do dmod!! Thank you, that will be fantastic if I can rent one, much much less money.

I come here for answers and I almost always get them. Maybe there's one in Philly. We are not that far from Philly. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Dmod, I looked up several places in our area. This is a wonderful idea. They seem to be charging more ($150 per month) but it would still be a good solution. OMG there is so much to think about. My daughter is going to ask the landlord if she can go month to month until June so my grandson can graduate before she has to move. Also to give us more time to try to accumulate a little more money for all of this.

But we have to find a place first, and the stair chair option gives us dozens more choices. It's overwhelming how much has to be done. We've moved a lot, but never had a double move before!

Formerly Ford1224
Trusted Contributor

ADA laws compel landlords to allow disabled tenants the chance to modify living spaces for accessibilty...often with a requirement that the property be returned to the condition it was before the disabled tenant moved in - and of course at the tenant's expense. And sometimes cities/counties have grant monies available to help defray costs for the tenant. Check with your city or county for possible options.
Trusted Contributor

I am a landlord and would definitely allow it. I don't think that's an unreasonable request at all.
Respected Contributor

On 1/24/2015 Ford1224 said:

Dmod, I looked up several places in our area. This is a wonderful idea. They seem to be charging more ($150 per month) but it would still be a good solution. OMG there is so much to think about. My daughter is going to ask the landlord if she can go month to month until June so my grandson can graduate before she has to move. Also to give us more time to try to accumulate a little more money for all of this.

But we have to find a place first, and the stair chair option gives us dozens more choices. It's overwhelming how much has to be done. We've moved a lot, but never had a double move before!

You will get it done. I am excited for you!