Super Contributor

Any ladies here ever been in a relationship with a younger man?

I've recently started dating a man who is 8 years my junior. That may not seem like a huge age difference to some, but consider our respective ages before you make that judgement: I am 32, he is 24. {#emotions_dlg.ohmy} (I honestly wouldn't have even considered dating him had I known his age from the beginning.)

For ladies who have dated younger - were you eventually able to look past the age disparity, or did it become the "nail in the coffin" of your relationship? Although he is mature for his age, I can already tell that we are just in such different places in our lives.

I hate to give up without even giving it a fair shot, but I also don't want to waste time (his or mine) by pursuing something that might be doomed from the start. Any words of wisdom?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any ladies here ever been in a relationship with a younger man?

Yes, I have and he was 7 yrs younger than I. It REALLY depends on the person. I didn't think of our age at all because he was really mature. I liked him a lot but knew I didn't love him.

I have had friends guys and girls who have dated younger and each situation is so different and for some who thought about the age constantly that was the nail in the coffin.

My advice to you is give it some time. If you find after the "new period" of butterflies you still feel this way, then reaccess it.

Don't rush into make a decision without at least giving it a chance.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Super Contributor

On 8/25/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:

Yes, I have and he was 7 yrs younger than I. It REALLY depends on the person. I didn't think of our age at all because he was really mature. I liked him a lot but knew I didn't love him.

I have had friends guys and girls who have dated younger and each situation is so different and for some who thought about the age constantly that was the nail in the coffin.

My advice to you is give it some time. If you find after the "new period" of butterflies you still feel this way, then reaccess it.

Don't rush into make a decision without at least giving it a chance.

Thank you for your time and advice.

Respected Contributor

Dated AND married him!

Respected Contributor

It sounds like you already have your answer, 'I can already tell we are just in such different places in our lives'.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes my 2nd (and current) husband is 7 years younger than me. He is the most amazing, wonderful, kind, and loving man I ever met in my life.

Age is just a number!

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Super Contributor

On 8/25/2014 SeaGal said:

It sounds like you already have your answer, 'I can already tell we are just in such different places in our lives'.

You are so on to me, lol!

Esteemed Contributor

Colonel Meow, how long have you been dating him? I ask because when I started dating my husband there were several things that made me think that maybe we weren't right for each other. Now it wasn't age but it was things I considered important and I just didn't think we would work despite my chemistry with him. The more time I spent with him, the less I thought about those things.

I will tell you this. If you start to think about the age thing more with time instead of less, then I think that might be a good sign it isn't something you can get over.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Oh, I hope it works out for you!

JFK
Super Contributor

I does sound like you have answered your own question. I think if the two of you were both older, you'd maybe have a better shot.

My DH is 7 years younger than I. I was 40 and he was 33 when we met. At that time, we both looked the same age and did until I reached my 60's and he's still in his late 50's. The difference really shows now where before, most people didn't know he was younger unless we told them.