Honored Contributor

Re: Any families doing this (4 Christmas gift rule) 🎁📚🍿⛸

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Have never heard of the four gift rule or of Pollyanna.

@proudlyfromNJ Me either.  I don't know what that Pollyanna thing is but the rule of four sounds like a real pain to shop for.  Who wants to do that?  

And I do NOT want people to buy me something to wear.  

Regular Contributor

I've seen this on facebook where the gifts are wrapped and stacked into snowmen.   I believe it is geared more toward children.  A lot of parents seem to be onboard.    Though mine are now grown, I think it is a nice idea and I would have done it.  Kids always want everything and this helps reign it in.  There is no set $ limit so the "what they want gift could be anything within your budget".   

When we have grandkids, I won't load them up gifts.  A toy and an outfit for littles and a fun trinket and reasonable gift card for teens will do.  Too much just overloads them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think if you have a large family and celebrate with brothers and sisters, you need to have a grab bag.  Everyone writes down 3 things they would like.  Then you have to decide what dollar amount.  That is usually for the adults.  Plus not everyone has the same income.  I wonder how some families buy for each niece and nephew.  I mean what if your brother has 6 kids and you only have 2.  You can go broke easily buying for everyone and I don't think anyone should extend themselves for Christmas gifts.  Hopefully, families have that all figured out.  I only buy for a few friends.  I either write a check or buy a gift card and then give each person about 3 or 4 small stocking stuffer gifts to open.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

No, have never heard of the 4 gift rule.  Not one I would abide by.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any families doing this (4 Christmas gift rule) ???⛸

[ Edited ]

@jonbon wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I do just fine without someone giving me their rules for gift giving. I find it condescending. But to be clear, I am not offended!

Why condescending? It's just an idea/suggestion for a way to simplify gift giving that some might choose to adopt. If you're fine with the way you handle things, that's all that really matters.

Deleted

Honored Contributor

@SunValley  These forums are not some type of college courses. They are supposed to be lighthearted or comments about QVC for posters. I don’t take these boards seriously. Goodness! 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

Have never heard of the four gift rule or of Pollyanna.

@proudlyfromNJ Me either.  I don't know what that Pollyanna thing is but the rule of four sounds like a real pain to shop for.  Who wants to do that?  

And I do NOT want people to buy me something to wear.  

we always called them SECRET SANTAS. there is an app called ELFSTER that can help you with this.  we have done them with friends and coworkers and club members before. i remember we even did them in elementary school with all of the members of the class. have never done them with "gag gifts" though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

@jonbon wrote:

@SunValley wrote:

I do just fine without someone giving me their rules for gift giving. I find it condescending. But to be clear, I am not offended!

Why condescending? It's just an idea/suggestion for a way to simplify gift giving that some might choose to adopt. If you're fine with the way you handle things, that's all that really matters.

I dislike the word choice of "rule." Semantics...rules for gift giving imply that one is clueless, or overwhelmed, or unable to manage the task without them. Rules control or regulate behavior, establish what is permissible, and create conformance. Gift giving is a personal choice, unique to each person and circumstance. I don't need rules to choose gifts. Rename the concept as a "four-gift system" or "concept" and then it accurately conveys what it's intended to be--a suggestion or idea, and I would have reacted more positively. And I don't give anyone on my list four presents, so the quantity is presumptuous as well. What if I only give one gift? Which rule is the one rule that Rules them all? (Tongue in cheek.)

Thanks for your response. I understand your point, although I don't totally agree with it. The quantity is given, I believe, for those who generally give far more than four gifts and are looking for a way to cut back a bit. If you don't give that many to a child on your list, then no need to cut back or worry about this concept at all. And, as I stated earlier, the categories provide a lot of latitude as far as what might qualify, especially if one is creative. I still think some people don't understand the intent of the idea; it really is meant for kids who get a lot of gifts and parents who are looking for a way to simplify but still have a lovely, meaningful Christmas. (And I do think some parents are overwhelmed, as are the kids by sheer the amount of stuff they get! Smiley Happy)

Respected Contributor

@jonbon I think we are on pretty much the same wavelength here. I appreciate the civil dialogue and exchange of points of view. I agree that If someone is caught In a gift giving hurricane this is one method to pare it down. I've just never been in that position. Wishing you a great weekend.

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

With the 4-gift rule, each person gets just four gifts for Christmas:
Something you want,
Something you need,
Something to wear, and
Something to read.

Apparently this idea is getting popular (through Facebook & Pinterest).

I think its neat.

@LoveMyBaby   This may have been mentioned but I thought this was for parents buying for their own children.  This "rule" has been around for a few years.

I don't think it has to do with buying for everyone else.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh