Honored Contributor

Re: Any families doing this (4 Christmas gift rule) 🎁📚🍿⛸

Nope.

I know other families that follow the "3 Gift Rule": the Christ child received 3 gifts and you are NOT better than Christ so you don't need more than 3 gifts.

When we had our first, I asked both sets of Grandparents if they would mind following it and I received MAJOR...I mean MAJOR side eye, lol. And then a lot of verbal feedback basically saying "we are NOT going to follow that stupid rule".

Ok then. Lol.

Respected Contributor

I do just fine without someone giving me their rules for gift giving. I find it condescending. But to be clear, I am not offended!

Honored Contributor

Gift giving is very limited now...one small inexpensive gift or donation to a favorite charity is our "rule"......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

I do just fine without someone giving me their rules for gift giving. I find it condescending. But to be clear, I am not offended!

Why condescending? It's just an idea/suggestion for a way to simplify gift giving that some might choose to adopt. If you're fine with the way you handle things, that's all that really matters.

Respected Contributor

@LoveMyBaby 

Had not heard of it, but I like it.

Esteemed Contributor

I think there are some good things to be said about the 4 gifts for some families. We've pared it down further for our five grandsons because the gifts were getting out of hand. The little ones wanted semi-expensive toys and the middle ages and older one wanted sports equipment/items and money. The cost can easily get out of hand and the toys and some of the sports items end up being sold in garage sales or on neighborhood websites. (I know - they can do what they want with the stuff since they were gifts....but still).

We dearly love our grandsons, but we now buy one gift (reasonable price) for them to open, along with a cash gift. They can save the $$ or use it to buy something they want.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gift giving has become far more low key among my family and friends, so there's no need to 'set rules'. In the heyday of gifting, no, we would not have implemented rules about gift giving. People do what they can and want to do. No need to set it up as a virtual parlor game unless that's what one chooses to do.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@jonbon wrote:

@tototwo wrote:

I've never heard of this rule, but seems kind of excessive if you have to buy 4 gifts for each person on your list.  Am I understanding it correctly?

Our group of family and friends stopped exchanging gifts at Christmas.  We have all we need and if we want something, we go buy it.   There are so many in the world who don't have enough and never receive gifts.  So we all donate a specified amount every year into a charity fund and rotate the charities we give to every year.  Then, on Christmas day, we just spend the time together (usually eating a lot!).

No, you don't have to buy four gifts for everyone on your list. And if your family is grown or you and your spouse don't give gifts anymore, no one is saying that you should start giving four gifts. My interpretation has always been that it is aimed at buying for one's own non-adult children (or perhaps grandchildren), where excess is frequently the norm. It's a way to demonstrate that more is not necessarily better; that a few thoughtfully chosen gifts can be very satisfying. It's just meant as a way to simplify the holiday.

@jonbon 

Yes, your interpretation is correct...its just a growing idea and you 'got' it. Thx.

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We usually give the kids cash and maybe a gift card. If they want something specific, we'll get that, too.

I also like to get them some inexpensive gifts (even treats) so they have something to open.

Respected Contributor

We have done "The Pollyanna" for years, although I didn't know it had a name.  We choose a number, and there is a name to go with it.  Only my Daughter knows who has which person.  

We set a price limit.  We pick in July, so we all have plenty of time and fun getting things that person likes.  Practical gifts, and usually  a gag gift or two.  

We will all be together this year, and that is a true gift.  Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey