Honored Contributor

Re: Any families doing this (4 Christmas gift rule) 🎁📚🍿⛸

I never realized it was a thing, but essentially this is what I did with gifts for my girls when they were small.   No extravagent gifting in this house.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never heard of this rule, but seems kind of excessive if you have to buy 4 gifts for each person on your list.  Am I understanding it correctly?

Our group of family and friends stopped exchanging gifts at Christmas.  We have all we need and if we want something, we go buy it.   There are so many in the world who don't have enough and never receive gifts.  So we all donate a specified amount every year into a charity fund and rotate the charities we give to every year.  Then, on Christmas day, we just spend the time together (usually eating a lot!).

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I've never heard of it, but we no longer exchange gifts in my family. We have everything we need, are blessed to be able to get anything that we would want, and all prefer to select our own clothing and books. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

I think it's a cute and practical idea but probably wouldn't do it.

As far as Pollyanna gifts, I think that's fine in large families, but I don't like to see money wasted on gag gifts. We all have enough junk.  I would rather buy/receive something thoughtful if that were the only gift I would be giving or receiving.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I never heard of it.  It wouldn't work in my life and I would not have done that to my kids.  It also takes the fun out of gift giving.  

Honored Contributor

I think gift giving should be whatever would make the recipient happy...if that person happens to be practical then something they need will make them happy.If they don’t care to read then why give the gift that will be regifted.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of this 4 gift rule.  I have for many years heard that families follow the "three" gifts brought to the Inn by the Three Wise Men for the birth. 

For myself every year is different in the number of gifts I buy for my son, dil and two grandchildren.  Some of the gifts are the same such as what I put in their stockings and the other is just listening all through out the year.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have never hear of this rule.  I like it, though!

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I've never heard of this rule, but seems kind of excessive if you have to buy 4 gifts for each person on your list.  Am I understanding it correctly?

Our group of family and friends stopped exchanging gifts at Christmas.  We have all we need and if we want something, we go buy it.   There are so many in the world who don't have enough and never receive gifts.  So we all donate a specified amount every year into a charity fund and rotate the charities we give to every year.  Then, on Christmas day, we just spend the time together (usually eating a lot!).

No, you don't have to buy four gifts for everyone on your list. And if your family is grown or you and your spouse don't give gifts anymore, no one is saying that you should start giving four gifts. My interpretation has always been that it is aimed at buying for one's own non-adult children (or perhaps grandchildren), where excess is frequently the norm. It's a way to demonstrate that more is not necessarily better; that a few thoughtfully chosen gifts can be very satisfying. It's just meant as a way to simplify the holiday.

Honored Contributor

I never follow silly rules when buying someone gifts. I buy and give as many and what I want. And a lot more than just 4!! Woman Surprised

"Pure Michigan"