Honored Contributor

Any experiences with Discover Bank?

I have a cd that matures tomorrow.  The bank's current cd rates aren't all that great.  And I really don't have a lot of time right now to search out other sources.

I have a Discover card and was online this morning and saw that they're offering a 12 month cd right now for 5.00% interest.  

Has anyone ever used them for a cd?  They're FDIC insured, but I am sometimes hesitant to try something new.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Any experiences with Discover Bank?

@gidgetgh   I have no Discover bank experience, but  if you have time, take at quick look at Bankrate and see if they're included and rated.  

Respected Contributor

DD uses both Ally and Discover online banking. No issues. You can call Discover with any questions (I did). I believe deposits and withdrawals are thru an ACH.

Happy to make high yields on accounts!

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@gidgetgh   I have no Discover bank experience, but  if you have time, take at quick look at Bankrate and see if they're included and rated.  

@millieshops - thanks. I've used Bankrate before.  You just have to wade through so many options that I'm not interested in, but I'll take another look to see if they give a rating for Discover.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@scatcat wrote:

DD uses both Ally and Discover online banking. No issues. You can call Discover with any questions (I did). I believe deposits and withdrawals are thru an ACH.

Happy to make high yields on accounts!

@scatcat - yeah.  Right now, the interest rates are in favor of those who get cd's and high yield money markets.  I have a high yield account with American Express and have never had issues with it.  I've had a Discover card for many years with no issues so I might just take the plunge with them. I love the 5.00% rate. My bank is offering 3.5%. I called another local bank this morning and they're offering 2.00% for 12 months. In case the rates start dropping, I really want to lock in with a cd for this.

Respected Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I have a cd that matures tomorrow.  The bank's current cd rates aren't all that great.  And I really don't have a lot of time right now to search out other sources.

I have a Discover card and was online this morning and saw that they're offering a 12 month cd right now for 5.00% interest.  

Has anyone ever used them for a cd?  They're FDIC insured, but I am sometimes hesitant to try something new.

@gidgetgh  My family and myself have many CD's with Discover, including both Roth and Traditional IRA ones, too.  No problem whatsoever.

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

I have three CDs with Discover and a savings account that pays over 3%. Transfer are easy, six a month are free. I leave money there and just transfer what I need to pay bills when they come due. 

Trusted Contributor

Discover bank is easy to work with. So is Capital one 360. Capital One currently has savings at 4.3% and a 10 month CD, at 5.3%. Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

I got a couple of CD's, 1 in Sept and 1 in October and both were well over 5.5%. One cd is from Wells Fargo and the other is BofA. Of course things may have changed in the past couple of months.

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I got a couple of CD's, 1 in Sept and 1 in October and both were well over 5.5%. One cd is from Wells Fargo and the other is BofA. Of course things may have changed in the past couple of months.

@Meowingkitty - I called Chase Bank near me this morning and their 12 month rate is 2.00%. My bank, Truist, is 3.50%.

We have Wells Fargo and BofA here.