Regular Contributor

Any coupon clippers out there?

I was never much into clipping coupons, but now I'm hooked. I saved $53 at the grocery store today, buying only items we will use (not the weird, obscure items they often buy on the Extreme Couponer show). I planned my list using my store's weekly flyer (they doubled coupons up to $1), matched it up with the coupons I printed online, (I don't dig in dumpsters for recycled newspapers--yet!) and saved just about 25% on my grocery bill.

I guess the secret is to have items on hand so you don't have a lot of "needs" and can shop each week for the items on sale and for which you have a coupon. It took a little time for me to organize my shopping trip, and I went alone at a non-busy time. I just can't believe how foolish and wasteful I used to be.

I'm no where near a fanatic like the people depicted on the TV show, but they suddenly don't seem that fanatical to me! Wink Do you clip and save? Any tips?

Honored Contributor

Re: Any coupon clippers out there?

I'm a coupon clipper for products that I use. Every once in a while a coupon will help motivate me to try something new. I could probably save more money if I would time coupon use with sales.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Couponing is my favorite hobby. It's works my mind better than a crossword puzzle. I print internet coupons, clip newspaper coupons and get the rest from eBay. My better trips, I save 75%+. I haven't done it much lately because nobody has had any sales. Only 2 grocery stores double coupons. If they don't have sales, I don't shop there because things are overpriced at full price. I don't buy crackers, cereal, cheese, cleaning supplies or some beauty items without coupons. They usually end up free.

I look for a sale and money back too. Buy $15 of x and get $5 back for next time. I used to do really good at the drug stores, but they don't have sales like they used to. I used to get money back too, so they paid me to shop there.

I make my list and know exactly how much the total should be. This has helped a ton because sometimes the total is off because of a cashier mistake and they fix it then. I go first thing in the morning and write my list based on how the aisles are setup. I can whip through the store in no time.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes, depending on what's offered. Our store has perks too that allows for savings.

Honored Contributor

I cut the coupons; I just don't remember to take them to the store with me.

Super Contributor

I usually have a few coupons each time I go shopping. I mostly shop sales, I stock up on what I use when it's on sale.

Honored Contributor

On 5/31/2014 Hildegarde Withers said:

If I get coupons in the mail, I'll look and take out the ones I might use, but I rarely look for them online. When we do print out a coupon, we use grayscale.

If I place an online order, I always look for coupon codes before placing my order.

Same here but I do use them.

Honored Contributor

On 6/1/2014 RedTop said:

I cut the coupons; I just don't remember to take them to the store with me.

Yeah, really! That's me, too.

I might get one or two coupons a week from the Sunday paper that the husband brings home. Half the time I forget to use them and they end up tossed. I have to go through them every so often to get rid of all the expired ones.

Lately I'm seeing more of the 'buy three of these and save .50'. I don't bother with those. If it's 50 cents off on ONE item, I'm game though.

Respected Contributor

I don't use coupons too often. It's hard to find any for the items I use. Mostly I see "get $1 off when you buy two" and I don't want 2 items. What happens is I cut them out, then can't find them when I want them, or they expire.

Honored Contributor

Oh I NEVER shop anywhere without using a coupon! No coupon? I probably won't buy from that store. I've saved sooooo much money for many years by clipping coupons!

"Pure Michigan"