Respected Contributor

Re: Any catholics out there who know the current rule about meat on Fridays during Lent?

On 3/13/2014 RedHeadedWench said:

Not eating meat on Friday is a sacrifice and has nothing to do what day of the week Jesus died for our sins....it is to remember that sacrifice.

The nuns always told us it was a penance for our sins........it was for OUR SINS that Christ gave his life on the cross........we didn't eat meat on Friday as a penance for those sins.................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any catholics out there who know the current rule about meat on Fridays during Lent?

Jesus was the sacrificial lamb to take away the sins of the world in our behalf, because Adam had the perfect world and disobeyed God's command through Eve, so he brought about sin. Romans tells us the wages of sin is Death, so Jesus sacrificed, so we may live. Our sacrifice is obey the laws set down for us stated in the Lord's Prayer. I remember praying this and not thinking about the words, but pay attention to the words and what you are asking for in this prayer. Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount Matthew Chapter 5,. He laid down the rules for mankind to follow. I never learned any of this in Cathecisum , sorry about spelling. Learned a lot as a bible student for the last umpteen years.

With Easter coming, it might be good to read Matthew and Acts. Sermon on the Mount, and his Ressurection. Just saying, great stories.

Valued Contributor

Kathy, please don't get mad at me for asking but why don't you capitalize the word Catholic? I think the nuns would have had a coronary if we used a lower case "c".

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/13/2014 MomOf4 said:

Kathy, please don't get mad at me for asking but why don't you capitalize the word Catholic? I think the nuns would have had a coronary if we used a lower case "c".

Just didn't bother but you are right. The name of any religion should be capitalized. Sister Mary Francis would make me say 5 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's.
Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 KathyPet said:
On 3/13/2014 MomOf4 said:

Just didn't bother but you are right. The name of any religion should be capitalized. Sister Mary Francis would make me say 5 Our Fathers and 5 Hail Mary's.

Thanks for the answer sweetie. Sounds like you had the same Sister Mary Francis I did! Wink

Respected Contributor

My sister inlaw 's church members do not eat meat on Wednesday and Friday. I know some men who do not eat any meat for the 40 days of lent. I also do not serve meat on Friday during lent. My Mom and Dad never ate meat on Friday all the years they were alive.

Valued Contributor

On 3/13/2014 Krimpette said:

I always operated under the assumption that you fasted on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday (nothing between meals and only one main (preferably lighter)) meal on those days and that Fridays were meatless during Lent. Even though I'm well beyond the age range, I still try to observe. (I never heard about meatless Fridays during Advent. That's new to me.)

Krimpette has it right. These are the current Catholic rules, according to someone who is dedicated, serves within her parish, and is "in the know". My Mom {#emotions_dlg.w00t} and she's always right. No, really. ('Love you, Mom, if you're reading Smiley Happy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Kindness is a gift everyone can afford to give.
**Be the reason someone smiles today : )
Respected Contributor

Not eating meat on Friday is a sacrifice and has nothing to do what day of the week Jesus died for our sins....it is to remember that sacrifice.

Back in the middle ages, eating meat was given up totally during Lent, as a matter of fact, the reason behind "Fat Tuesday" was to eat up all the meat and goodies in your house prior to Ash Wednesday. In certain countries (diocese) the money you would have spent on meat...would have been given to the poor.

Another reason it is called "Fat Tuesday" is b/c people would try to use up all the tallow or other meat fat they used for cooking just before lent. The tradition of having pancakes on Fat Tuesday comes from that symbolizing using up the fat.

Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 ninjawife said:

Back in the middle ages, eating meat was given up totally during Lent, as a matter of fact, the reason behind "Fat Tuesday" was to eat up all the meat and goodies in your house prior to Ash Wednesday. In certain countries (diocese) the money you would have spent on meat...would have been given to the poor.

Another reason it is called "Fat Tuesday" is b/c people would try to use up all the tallow, lard or other meat fat they used for cooking just before lent. The tradition of having pancakes on Fat Tuesday comes from that symbolizing using up the fat.

Respected Contributor

As others have noted, no meat on Ash Wednesday or any Fridays during Lent.