Respected Contributor

Re: Any catholics out there who know the current rule about meat on Fridays during Lent?

I don't eat meat on Weds as well as Fridays during Lent. During the year I abstain from eating meat on Friday.

During the year you are supposed to give up something on Fridays if not meat then something else. Considering I made my confirmation 3 years ago and went through a year of classes to do this. I know what I wrote is up to date and accurate.

Respected Contributor

Re: Any catholics out there who know the current rule about meat on Fridays during Lent?

On 3/13/2014 terrier3 said:
On 3/13/2014 blackbirdraven said:

this is what I found.................<em>To sum up those requirements, Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. In addition, all Catholics 14 years old and older must abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent</em>.............................................raven

http://www.americancatholic.org/features/lent/lentrules.aspx

But if you are Catholic in Buffalo, NY, the bishop gives a dispensation to eat corned beef and cabbage at the annual Friday before St. Patrick's Day lunch at the Irish Center - even if it is a Friday in Lent (I kid you not!)

so just exactly how does he justify that??????.......I get the "proud to be Irish" thing.........but being Irish is more then corned beef and cabbage......................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 straykatz said:

You can learn something new everyday...I grew up thinking it was every Friday.

When I was growing up it WAS every Friday, 52 weeks a year.

But after Vatican II, that changed to just Lent and Advent Fridays.

Supposedly, the custom of fish on Friday started in the Middle Ages, to promote the fishing industry in Italy.

I can honestly say I have never heard this about Fridays during Advent.

Super Contributor

Kathy, what did you eat LAST Friday (that was the 1st Friday in Lent...) Just curious, I'm not judging.

I've been a lapsed catholic, since the Priest who was doing Bible Study class relegated me to "the heretic section" in my class when I asked a question that ticked him off...{#emotions_dlg.scared} Prior to that I was a "cafeteria catholic" (he didn't like THAT either...){#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Esteemed Contributor

this is what I found.................<em>To sum up those requirements, Catholics between the ages of 18 and 59 are obliged to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. In addition, all Catholics 14 years old and older must abstain from meat on Ash Wednesday, Good Friday and all the Fridays of Lent</em>.............................................raven

But if you are Catholic in Buffalo, NY, the bishop gives a dispensation to eat corned beef and cabbage at the annual Friday before St. Patrick's Day lunch at the Irish Center - even if it is a Friday in Lent (I kid you not!)

so just exactly how does he justify that??????.......I get the "proud to be Irish" thing.........but being Irish is more then corned beef and cabbage......................raven

It's a saints day. I'm not from Buffalo, we've just always done it in my family.
Honored Contributor

I believe a diocesan dispensation may be granted anywhere, at the discretion of the bishop.
Honored Contributor

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!!!!!
Honored Contributor

Same thing in this area, terrier. Smiley Happy I thought it happened everywhere.{#emotions_dlg.confused1}

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Respected Contributor

On 3/13/2014 violann said:I believe a diocesan dispensation may be granted anywhere, at the discretion of the bishop.

When we were children a school field was a big deal. Frequently they fell on Fridays. Our parish priest gave dispensations.

Honored Contributor

If you unknowingly ate meat on a Friday during Lent, what you should do is create another meatless day for the following week.

Also during Lent, you should fast between meals particularly if you are between the ages of 14 and 60. If you are 60 and older, its encouraged that you also fast but you don't have to.

During Lent you should also try to get to the Sacrament of Reconciliation before Easter.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼