Valued Contributor

My sister had a problem with ants last week and she used peppermint oil and they were gone. I have used pepper and left a little bit of it on the kitchen counter and that would keep them away. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Any advice for ants?

[ Edited ]

I squeeze a trail of dish liquid on and around the ant scouts when they first show up at the kitchen sink.  They really hate it and try to run away. Thry are completely gone.in a few days.

I used to always use Dawn. The blue didnt look good but did the job.  Now I use whatever brand I have on hand and that works just as well too.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

I just googled "Is Terro safe for pets" and the answer from several sources was NO.

The active ingredient in Terro is borax, so it's safe around pets. Terro is very, very effective at eliminating ants that are seeking sugary food. The only safety concern I've ever read about Terro and pets is dogs chewing up the plastic traps to get to the sugary stuff inside and even then it's not the sugary stuff inside that causes them trouble, but the plastic they chew through to get to it.

Bigger ants are typically the sugar eaters. Tiny little ants (at least here in NJ)  are typically the ones that are seeking fats and the Terro traps aren't effective against them. Those ants are looking for a different food source and they want oils or solid fats as a food source. On a human scale we may keep our kitchens impeccably clean, but the tiniest crumb to a little ant can be a month's supply of food. A drop of oil that's largely unnoticed can be a ton of food to an oil seeking ant. If you could shrink yourslf down to the size of  an ant and wander around your house, you'd find all kinds of food hiding out that's not apparent on a human scale.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have not read all the responses, but the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is placing bait stations around the perimeter of my house.

These are stations that I fill with liquid bait that the ants eat and carry back to their "homes" to destroy the other ants and queen.

I am normally a live and let live person, but I cannot tolerate ants.

This is my 4 summer using this method and, so far, no ants. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I squeeze a trail of dish liquid on and around the ant scouts when they first show up at the kitchen sink.  They really hate it and try to run away. Thry are completely gone.in a few days.

I used to always use Dawn. The blue didnt look good but did the job.  Now I use whatever brand I have on hand and that works just as well too.

Yes...i found a couple years ago that the ants (and most bugs)  HATE the Palmolive orange antibacterial dish liquid............last year i had put it on several areas of my kitchen where they were coming in.......and they stopped...................it works for quite a while........although they may at times try an alternative route.....just gotta keep diligent with them.....I have sprayed a touch of Bug killer a couple times....but prefer to use the dish liquid feeling there isn't the chemical worries.....

Esteemed Contributor

Put down grits. They take it back to the nest where they eventually explode. Don't do it to often because they seem to get smart and will ignore it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I have not read all the responses, but the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me is placing bait stations around the perimeter of my house.

These are stations that I fill with liquid bait that the ants eat and carry back to their "homes" to destroy the other ants and queen.

I am normally a live and let live person, but I cannot tolerate ants.

This is my 4 summer using this method and, so far, no ants. 

@Witchy Woman  What do you use for liquid bait?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Any advice for ants?

[ Edited ]

Last yr. we had an infestation so bad (I think something fell off the garbage man's truck) we saw thousands of them marching up the concrete driveway they were like an army.  We got out the cans, put out Terro all over the place.

Thank God they never made it in house, what killed them dead was when I went online and bought pounds of Boric Acid from this chemical plant. All you can buy around here  is those little sad containers of so many ounces.

Anyway, it's cheap, and I bought 5lbs the first time worked so well and I wanted to have on hand if they ever returned and bought a 10 or 15 lb bag for reserve. I put in a big plastic container with a lid and they send you a scoop and I went all the way around my 2300 sq ft. house where you have that area of space from the foundation  to the , in my case, concrete walk.

Like a 2 inch space that separates the foundation from the surrounding ground and I used the scoop and scooped out boric acid all around the foundation of the house. Little iffers were gone next day.

Down here in Tx. they're trying to find water. If you got carpenter ants, you got troubles, man , told me at Loew's they will try to go up in the attic because that's where the wood is and they bore into the wood to nest and they will cripple the house's actual structure they eat the wood.

Ants, we had were like a comma ,,,,,, about that big, wasn't those big black carpenter ants. I googled them after the Loew's man scared us to death they're like 2 inches long.

Long story short. Boric acid I'm sold on. You have to protect the perimenter , set up a barrier.

Outside, don't throw nothing on the ground, grease, watermelon rinds, don't let kids drop sugary candy, drinks, don't leave soda cans on ground.

wood mounds they love. You have to be neatnik.

I hate those ******************. LOL

Frequent Contributor

I also use Borax powder and jelly.  I mix a little bit of each and put on a square of aluminum foil.  I understand using peanut butter is good for when the ants you seek to kill are craving fat and not sugar.  But in my case the jelly bait always worked.   I place this bait where the ants are the worst, like if it is the sink or the countertop temporarily .When I find where the are entering the house I move the bait to catch them when they first come in.  The bait works as a stopping point for the ants.  I will replace the bait if I see that ants are still going for it and the mixture dries up.  This has worked for me many times avoiding an expensive exterminator visit.  I do not have pets in the house, I do have a 5 year old and she knows to leave it alone!

Respected Contributor

I had an ant problem in my old house.  It was limited to two rooms, the kitchen and my daughters bathroom.  Only once in the kitchen but 2 or 3 times in my daughters bathroom.  Did notice it seemed to happen after a lot of rain.  My husband sprayed a bug spray to the outisde of the house, right at the foundation.  Always worked.  In 15 years of living in that house, I think we had ants 3 to 5 times.  My mother in law, however, had them and it didn't matter what she did, they wouldn't go away.  She ended up calling a professional.