Honored Contributor

I'm sticking with my Boric acid advice. Pour around perimenter of house. Terro, in the liquid form, is what you want if your using that. They can't get it off their feet and track it back to the nest where it kills the colony. Sticky.

I had 'em by the thousands, scary as a horror movie. My garage door was black with them. We sprayed, stomped, till we were blue in the face. After pouring the acid all around the  foundation of house they were gone in no time. Seldom rains here, so, it was able to stay down in the tracks for awhile.

Plus, we put lids off of cans full of it around the outside spigots too.

I'll never be without my boric acid powder by the lbs. ever again.

Esteemed Contributor

We have had problems with ants before and had to have an exterminator come to rid us of the problem.  We live in the St. Louis area.  Be sure that there are no leaves or other debris around the foundation of your home.    They love to colonize under leaves.  Sometimes this gathers without much notice so be on the lookout.   I don't know what the exterminator used but it worked.   We are more than diligent keeping leaves and debris from the foundation now.  Moisture in this area also will drive them out of the ground.  Keep pet food picked up and in sealed containers such as Lock N Lock.  Terro has worked since getting advice from the exterminators.  You can also sprinkle essential oils = Peppermint, in areas such as your doorway and windows to help repel them.   This will not kill them but will repel them.  You will need to get the problem under control before using the peppermint.  And you will have to use the peppermint on a regular basis-once or twice a week.   But your house smells wonderful!  Also, ants can come up thru your dishwasher if you have one.  Be sure to rinse your dishes before loading and wash them on a frequent basis.  Since it is just DH and me, we don't have a lot of dishes in our dish washer as I hand wash a lot of it.  Open containers of pet food draw them as well as bowls of uneaten pet food.  Good luck on solving your ant problem.  You have gotten some wonderful advice on this thread.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any advice for ants?

[ Edited ]

Thank you for the advice and replies and sorry I didn't get back till now!

DH got the borax and just in case we have the 1 yr old cat upstairs in the master bedroom and master bath just temporarily "in case"

However I did not see any ants tonight all night. (And they had not gotten in the cat food on the floors, which you would think they would have, but we always remove it as soon as they are finished eating). Anyway the ants were just on the counters when we saw them and some got on my arm (probably from cleaning/standing at the counter).

SO I am hoping we caught them in time!

PS) we think they got in lately b.c we just finally had our french doors installed and there was a big hole in the wall while the guys were working on it.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Honored Contributor

You can only buy boric acid online in the big lb bags. If your able to do it scoop it out all around the foundation of house. Like I said I have a gap between the foundation and the wrap around sidewalk that goes all around the slab foundation of my house. Just natural settling and I scooped the acid all in the open gap.

Hope mine don't come back.

Super Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

My advice for ants is to run very fast when they see someone with a spray can in their hand.

@KathyPet

Lol!