Respected Contributor

Re: Any Subaru Forester Owners Here?

[ Edited ]

A good friend has a Forester, not new, and loves it!  I have a base-model Impreza, and, oh my!  It's the four wheel drive--it turns and stops and behaves so well in traffic.

I had heard that as 4-wheel drives, they are more expensive to maintain, but I haven't ever had it in the shop til one of the power windows (what the heck is wrong with rolling windows up and down??) stuck on open.  I really like the car. I hope to figure out a way to move closer to extended family in the Northeast, I would then sell or donate it--if I can find a house up there with walkable access to mass transit.  I love the multi-cultural communities in SE FL, but I miss my family so much these days.  Covid was an eye-opener.

I got my licence at 16 but never used it, living for a long time in NYC.  Retrained and got a car when I moved to FL for my job in 1985.

Floridians have to have cars, so I have one here---but I am happier  reading on a bus or train.  My driving record is clean, no accidents; but I just don't see all that well, which has always been the case, and I am not comfortable driving a car except right near home.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee, I think your salesman failed to provide complete information. There is a fuel saving feature where the engine seems to shut down while in Drive and the car is stopped. The car is still running. It is immediately active when you're ready to drive.

If the driver doesn't like it it's a feature that can be turned off in the vehicle's settings.

Honored Contributor

@Etoile308 wrote:

@Pearlee, I think your salesman failed to provide complete information. There is a fuel saving feature where the engine seems to shut down while in Drive and the car is stopped. The car is still running. It is immediately active when you're ready to drive.

If the driver doesn't like it it's a feature that can be turned off in the vehicle's settings.

@Etoile308 I provided all the information I had from the salesman, with the caveat I had not driven a new one so it was not first hand information. From what the salesman told me it was not "immediately active" when you are ready to drive.  The OP will just have to drive it and see what's up with that new feature and whether she likes it --- or not. Even the way you described it I wouldn't want to buy it.

Honored Contributor

I know several people who really love their Subarus. Seems like a good choice.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've owned only Subarus since 1986 & currently have a 2017 Forester Touring.  Got it in Dec. 2016 & love it.  Before this one, I had a 2003 Forester purchased in June 2002. 

Current Forester has the bells & whistles, like Eyesight, Lane Keep Assist, Rear Auto Braking, etc.

ETA: I live in AZ, but I have a lot of stuff like heated seats & steering wheel that I don't get much use out of, though the heated seats are wonderful if your back hurts.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, I'm on my second Forester and I love it.  I get about 27mph and this is the absolute best car I have ever driven in rain, snow or any combination.  The inside is roomy and comfortable.  I have the touring edition and find it well worth it.  Best of luck.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Etoile308 wrote:

As someone who has a Forester with this feature, you can press a button near the steering wheel to turn it off (which I do everyday).  It does start right back up as soon as you lift your foot off the brake.  

Esteemed Contributor

I’m on my second Forester, love it, and would buy another.

Perfect for New England weather, and good for hauling so much stuff when the back seat is flipped down.  Foresters are also considered very safe cars to drive.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch - DD has a Forester, Limited. I do know one reason she chose it was because of the warranty. I have driven it once, but I ride in it a lot. It's a really nice car! 

When DD was in high school we bought a used Legacy. It was getting too hard for me to shuttle her to activities and her jobs as a dance instructor and a lifeguard. We bought it for the safety factor- it had a really high rating. Years later we had it fixed up as a graduation gift for DS. He couldn't take it to college, but drove it when he was home. We finally donated it. It was a good car! 

Good luck with your choice. I don't think you could go wrong with a Forester!  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

as someone posted, yes the new ones shut off while stopped (feels like it stalled) but theres a button where you  can shut that feature off