Honored Contributor

Any Santa Barbara area posters here tonight?

I saw on the news, that there's a big fire burning in the area...that 101 was even closed earlier in the day.

Hope this gets put out soon, and that you're all okay.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any Santa Barbara area posters here tonight?

Strong winds push wildfire in Los Padres National Forest near Santa Barbara to 1,700 acres

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-santa-barbara-fire-refugio-20160616-snap-story.html

for those in the area......stay safe!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Trusted Contributor

We're about 45 minutes south.  No ashes here but the smoke was pretty strong this afternoon.  No containment yet and a heatwave coming this weekend.

Honored Contributor

Good luck, Alsee.  I hadn't thought about the hot weather in store for the weekend.  I'm on the Central Coast, and it's supposed to be hot here, too.

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

Good luck, Alsee.  I hadn't thought about the hot weather in store for the weekend.  I'm on the Central Coast, and it's supposed to be hot here, too.

I'm on the Central Coast as well (now), but spent 25 years driving through the fire area on my trips up here; I know exactly where it is.  Beautiful area, fairly highly populated :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My son and his family are right in town -- fire's maybe 20 miles away but they are getting lots of smoke.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm vacationing in Pismo and had to go to Santa Barbara yesterday while 101 was closed, so I took the 154 detour (which was bumper to bumper). By chance, there is a large wildfire 1 mile from our Show Low home and dear son is preparing to evacuate (with dogs and important papers).

Honored Contributor

I called my nephew's cell phone yesterday and he was at this fire and said he couldn't talk. He is a fire fighter who jumps into fire areas when there is no other way to get to them. A skill he learned in the army. I am always praying he stays safe. His poor wife ! She broke off their engagement when he joined the army because she could not handle the stress of him being deployed. When he got out of the army  after he recovered from injuries they got back together and got married and what does he do?  Decides to do this for a living. i think he makes her a nervous wreck. Pray for the fire fighters.

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My son and his family are right in town -- fire's maybe 20 miles away but they are getting lots of smoke.

My daughter lives in the area, too, and I finally got  word from her, late last night, that the fire itself wasn't close to her, but there is smoke everywhere. 

Honored Contributor

@patbz wrote:

I'm vacationing in Pismo and had to go to Santa Barbara yesterday while 101 was closed, so I took the 154 detour (which was bumper to bumper). By chance, there is a large wildfire 1 mile from our Show Low home and dear son is preparing to evacuate (with dogs and important papers).

Good luck to your son.   I hope all goes well for him.