Honored Contributor

Re: Any Retirees working part time job ?

I went on medical leave in 2003, then took early retirement the following year.  I love being able to do what I want, when I want.  I have never had the desire to work another day.

Respected Contributor

Cookie 06 wrote:  I would love to do something from home, but I can only make a small amount of money or they will cut my disability pay check.  How old do you have to be to be able to work and it won't effect your social security income??? I know some seniors that work full time and also collect their social security.  Just wondering???

SS office says you can collect benefits starting at the beginning of the year of your 66 th BD and continue working full time. You will not collect your full benefits but it will be a subtantial amt. I plan to submit my request in January 2016. I verified with SS office. 

Super Contributor

Re: Working and collecting full SS benefits...

My understanding is that it depends on your "Full Retirement Age"  which depends upon your birth year.

For example, my "Full Retirement Age" was 66 (born in 1947)  I started collecting full benefits and continued to work full time in 2013.  I am still working full time.

Now, if you continue to work and put off collecting benefits until, say, age 70 - your SS benefits go up substantially; however, in my case, it was more beneficial to start collecting as soon as I could get my full benefit.

CAUTION:anyone who has questions needs to go to SS directly or check the SS website