Respected Contributor

Re: Any Retirees working part time job ?

I've been working part time for the last 6 years, I'm 60.  I enjoy what I do, on a part time basis, I'm a tour guide and I'm on my feet a lot, that's the hard part.  My husband is still working full time.  My main concern is that my husband isn't very social and doesn't have any hobbies, so when he retires, I need someplace to go.  I am very social and that's what I enjoy about my part time job.  I have made some dear friends there.  I know many people who love being retired, they have hobbies, they travel and have grandchildren.  We don't have any granchildren at this time, and since DH is still working full time, we don't travel very often.  Once he retires, we will start to travel more, luckily we'll be able to do that financially and at this time we are both in good health.  I think it's hard to make the decision for some people.  My husband loves his job and since he doesn't have any hobbies and isn't social, he's having a real hard time letting go of the job.  I'm trying to get him interested in golf again, he used to play when he was young and we do enjoy going out to the vineyards on the weekend.  It will workout, as long as we have our health. 

Valued Contributor

I had to retire due to a disability.  I had major back surgery, the titanium bars, screws and bolts, cadaver bones to fuse the lower third of my back.  I was only 55 when this surgery occurred.  I would love to do something from home, but I can only make a small amount of money or they will cut my disability pay check.  How old do you have to be to be able to work and it won't effect your social security income??? I know some seniors that work full time and also collect their social security.  Just wondering???

Trusted Contributor

I retired nine years ago at the age of 55 after 34 years of teaching.  I was offered a new job doing consulting work two weeks before I retired.  I figured I'd give it a shot and if I didn't like it, I'd quit.  I'm still doing it and now the business is mine (the woman I worked for gave it up two years ago).  I was also offered a chance to work at a local college supervising student teachers and have been doing that for about five years.  I don't work full time, have total control over the days and hours I work and still have plenty of time to play.  I do some volunteer work, belong to a few social groups and enjoy the down time when I have it.  I told myself I'd work one or two years after retirement, but it doesn't look like I'll be stopping any time soon.  I don't work in the summer and that's when I find myself getting a little antsy.  I take it year to year, but I enjoy the challenge of work and meeting new people.  Working part time is not for everyone who is retired, but if it's what you like, I say go for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
Cookie, I believe the age at which you can keep all Social Security earnings regardless of other job earnings is 70.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

@amaivy wrote:

I did not retire volntarily and wish I could work part time.  But, I worked in the computer industry and they definitley prefer young people.

As for part-time work.  There is some age discrimination out there in the workplace.  During the economic melt down, 50 year olds and older were alway listed as the people having the hardest time finding a job.

I did have 2 part time jobs and lost both.  The person who checks for eligibily was not available in either  job for a few days,. On both jobs I was told I was doing well and they were happy to have me (in one of the jobs I was given the empolyee handbook and fired an hour later), but when the employee who checks employment eligiblity came to see me and I provided my passport, I was asked to leave within an hour.  What is on my passport?  AGE!!!

So, you might want to try to keep your job or try to convert it to part-time. 

But this is only 1 person's experience - other posters seem not to have the problem I did.

I'm sorryyou had all those problems amaivy.

My situation was the exact opposite I had no issues at all with getting a PT job and being over age 50. Employers around here seem to want the flexibility and stability that comes from being older.

A lot of the younger people are looking for full time work and benefits  I needed neither and so was a prime candidate for PT work.

Just a hint to those of you looking for a PT job to supplement retirement.  Make sure you update your look before you go for an interview  You don't have to appear to be trying to be 30 again, but you do want to project an image of health, fitness and style.  Take a look at your hair, makeup and clothing and give them a tweak if you haven't updated in the last decade. 

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

When I retired - I retired - no more working!!  I worked hard and don't want to do it even part time!!  I'm through with schedules and having to work.

Respected Contributor

I was working part time.......it lasted 8 months and they asked me if I would work full time........I said yes........that was nine years ago........so much for part time lol...............................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Respected Contributor

My 85 yo old father-in-law still works about 15 hours a week at his local grocery store (Wegmans).  He stocks the produce.  He says it is to pay for his property taxes, but I think it is to keep busy and stay social.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I enjoy my job (most days) and think I would miss it too much if I retired.  Health issues can come up anytime, of course, but for as long as possible I will stay full time and continue to contribute to my retirement fund. 

The plan right now is to work until age 70 (5 more years) for reasons related to my retirement payouts. Social reasons, too: I worry about my social life fading away if I leave my workplace. 

Also, I would like to move back to New England, a very expensive place to be, so I continue to save for that.

Honored Contributor

One of the things I like about my seasonal job at a health insurance company is that they bring back retirees to assist with Medicare enrollment.

Some 85 year olds still work the phones during open enrollment!