Trusted Contributor

Any Knowledgeable Antique Furniture people out there?

I bought at a sale a piece of furniture and do not know what to call it.

It is about 27" high, 33" long and 18" from front to back.  It has a whole drawer going across the piece.  Then, the rest of the piece is divided kind of in half.  On the right side is three drawers and on the left side is a door which you pull open and have an empty space that equals the space the three drawers used on the other side.

Any ideas what this might be called?  I store my good silverware in its chest in there and my table coverings and napins, so I call is an antique linen chest, but I have no idea if that is the right name of not.

Thank you in advance for any help you may give in solving this mystery.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Knowledgeable Antique Furniture people out there?

Hi!  It maybe a Buffet table or a Sideboard. Either one of those would not have a finished back, just a regular piece of wood total across the back.  You are doing exactly what they were meant for, table linens,silver, serving pieces in the big space.   I am no expert, but grew up with a buffet table that my Mom had her FANCY stuff in.        Hope this helps. That is what your description sounded like

tedEbear

Super Contributor

It's a buffet and often times people will add a matching hutch that sets on top to store their china and glassware.

Honored Contributor

It might be an antique washstand. I have one like you described. It has a marble top and came over with my great-grandfather from England. My grandmother told me the cabinet part was where they put the pitcher and bowl to wash up, and the drawers were for storing linens. I use it in our guest room as a bedside table and keep different things in it. When I was a little girl it made a great house for my Barbie and her clothes! I am blessed to have it and I treasure it. 

I also have a dry sink. That one has one drawer going across the top and two cabinets below. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also believe it is a washstand.

Most buffets are higher than 27", I have 2 buffets - one is 39 " & one is 40".  That extra height makes sense for a buffet because serving is done  either by yourself, or your butler (Smiley Wink) while standing.  

I have a piece with similar measurements to yours that came with family from Scotland.  It has one drawer across the top, 2 smaller drawers on one side under the top drawer and a small door beside the two smaller drawers.  I was always told the function was as described by @beach-mom.  You might check the back of yours and see if it looks as though a board, or some pieces are missing right at the top.  Sometimes there are two "arms" reaching up from the back with a cross bar between them for hanging towels.  These upright pieces are frequently broken, or removed.  I took them off mine because I wanted to stand a lamp on it, not towels, and hang a picture over it.  Saved the parts in the attic!

Oddly mine is in a spare room between two twin beds.  Must be a trend!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

My guess is also a buffet table.   My grandmothers buffet had 3 drawers down the center, doors on each side, and a small drawer under each door.   

Honored Contributor

I agree it sounds like a buffet. I have an antique buffet that is probably the most useful piece of furniture I own, other than the bed. I store a ton of stuff in it and I decorate the top of it for holidays or seasons.

Honored Contributor

Does anyone know the difference between a buffet and a sideboard? Or are they 2 names for the same thing?

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Does anyone know the difference between a buffet and a sideboard? Or are they 2 names for the same thing?

They really are the same thing with the same purpose, but the distinguishing feature of a sideboard is short legs.  If it has high legs, it would be called a buffet.  I just looked that up, and now know I have been calling mine the wrong thing lol

Respected Contributor

side boards usully have a mirrored or decorative back:

Antique Empire Style Oak Sideboard/server Buffet W/ Beveled Mirror ...