Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Iced Coffee Connoisseurs?

Thank you! You are right homegirl! I cannot wait to start experimenting. The good thing about iced latte is that even though it has sugar, there is some fat in the whole mill to not rise your blood sugar as much as soda.
A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Trusted Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

I am trying to give up Coke and drink Iced coffee. I confess that I am clueless when it comes to coffee and alcoholic beverages. If you would be so kind, please let me know what your favorites are from McDonalds, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, etc and any other chain that sells these drinks. I do know that I tend to like lattes. Thanks!

I would be very careful about checking the calorie count of those iced coffees purchased at any outlet.  Depending on the size and additiions some of their choices have literally hundreds of calories.

I normally drink various forms of unsweet iced tea but will only drink iced, not hot, coffee went I want coffee instead of tea.  Normally I make my own using various brews from decaf to dark roast.  I fill a 32 oz glass with ice and then add about a cup of skim milk, or the lowest calorie almond milk, and then add the brewed coffee - no sugar or anything else.  Most days for breakfast I have a low calorie, high protein iced drink and often I will just add my coffee to that, without adding milk or anything else.   

Honored Contributor

I don't use sugar anymore, so my iced coffee drink of choice is an Iced Decaf Americano with half & half.  Americano is espresso with water and ice.  It's smoother than coffee, especially if you get it from a good coffee place.

My favorite coffee is Stumptown Roasters.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Trusted Contributor

Absolutely!  It's the favorite way that my husband and I like our coffee and over the years I've perfected a way to make it that we both love.

We go to Starbucks every Saturday morning and get 6 shots of espresso (8 when we have enough stars for a free drink!).  I take my own large cup in which I've put our sweetener and creamer.  I use xylitol and liquid stevia to sweeten and organic whipping cream and almond milk (about 1 part cream to 4 parts almond milk).  They put the shots of espresso in the cup and after I stir it up I pour it over ice.  So delicious!!!

I've made it at home using very concentrated strong coffee, but it's not as good as using the Starbucks espresso shots.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

OP , check out the calorie count of these drinks. Some of them have an entire day of calories in that one drink. It is nothing for them to be 1000cal. When I was working and we would usually not get lunch - I would have a latte for breakfast every day. Often never ate again all day - went home and went to bed exhausted, and yet NEVER lost any weight.

Not to mention that a lot of specialty coffee drinks are full of fat from cream or half & half, and full of sugar.

Just check out just how much sugar is in sweet tea.

That's why I don't drink sweet tea.

It has way, way, way too much sugar in it.

I drink my coffee blck, no cream or sugar, and my tea with a touch of lemon in it.

Black, I like my coffee black.

Stupid computer glitches.

Esteemed Contributor

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

At Starbucks, I always order an iced decaf vanilla latte. I love them!

I order iced decaf sugar free vanilla latte with half and half

love that drink, it doesn't taste diet!(Starbucks)

I don't drink lattes but I wonder how much half and half they're using. At over 300 calories per cup it might be a good idea to find out. That is, if you're really looking for something "diet."

If it's just a tablespoon, or some small amount, that's good. But I kind of thought lattes were mostly milk with an espresso shot. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just remember that cream is fat.

Half & half is fat.

And with that fat comes high calories.

People cut back on sugar but forget about how much fat is in cream and half & half.

Afterall, half & half is half whole milk and half cream.

Something to keep in mind when you have a fancy coffee drink.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love iced coffee and have been loving the ones I make at home with my Nespresso. It is much better than Starbucks. I do like McDonalds iced coffee with light cream, light ice and no sugar. That is the only thing I ever buy from McDonalds but it is pretty darn good.

But my all time favorite is an iced lavender iced latte from a local coffee house. They make ALL of their own syrups and they are not sickly sweet like most places and made with real ingredients like real lavender and lavender seeds (they sprinkle these on top of your drink) and in fall, real pumpkin in their pumpkin lattes, etc. I also really like their iced salted carmel latte but rarely get it because it is indulgent (although not real sweet). None of their drinks are very sweet, just the perfect amount of coffee with a hint of flavor.

I also like just plain coffee over ice with our without a tsp of cream or half and half (depends on my mood). If it is good coffee (like my Nespresso makes) it is sooooo good and generally what I drink if I drink iced coffee.

Honored Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@1jenniferjuniper wrote:

@Nicknack wrote:

At Starbucks, I always order an iced decaf vanilla latte. I love them!

I order iced decaf sugar free vanilla latte with half and half

love that drink, it doesn't taste diet!(Starbucks)

I don't drink lattes but I wonder how much half and half they're using. At over 300 calories per cup it might be a good idea to find out. That is, if you're really looking for something "diet."

If it's just a tablespoon, or some small amount, that's good. But I kind of thought lattes were mostly milk with an espresso shot. 

yes but you can use fat free (skim) milk or also milk alternatives. However, if they are making lattes with half and half like the poster mentioned, that adds much more fat and is in no way shape or form a diet drink, just because it contains sugar free syrup, lol.

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

I just make double strength coffee with my drip coffee maker, pour it in into a carafe, and refrigerate. I like a little sweetness, but not the calories of sugar, so I buy sugar-free syrups at Bed Bath & Beyond. The most common are mocha, vanilla, and salted caramel.

When I'm ready for a pick-me-up, I pour about 3/4 coffee over ice with  1/4 of whatever milk I have on hand. It could be fat-free, 1%, or 2 %. Add a splash of syrup and enjoy!

Do the sugar free syrups has artificial sweetners?