Respected Contributor

Re: Any California drivers affected by the Mudslides?

State Rt 58, or Highway 58, is going to be closed probably for a week according to the CHP. Alternate routes to and from Tehachapi but hundreds of trucks are stranded at the moment. It's the east-west trucking route, much as I-5 is the north-south route. Mud up to and over pickup trucks; CHP said it would take a few days just to retrieve the vehicles that are enmeshed in the mud.

Friends live in the Tehachapi area and they were told all hotel/motel rooms are full, restaurants are packed, grocery stores are busy. But if supplies can't get in because of the closures there are going to be problems-

Honored Contributor

@kdgn wrote:

State Rt 58, or Highway 58, is going to be closed probably for a week according to the CHP. Alternate routes to and from Tehachapi but hundreds of trucks are stranded at the moment. It's the east-west trucking route, much as I-5 is the north-south route. Mud up to and over pickup trucks; CHP said it would take a few days just to retrieve the vehicles that are enmeshed in the mud.

Friends live in the Tehachapi area and they were told all hotel/motel rooms are full, restaurants are packed, grocery stores are busy. But if supplies can't get in because of the closures there are going to be problems-

+++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe air-drops?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

It happened just a few miles from where we live, and not a drop of rain here.  The drive over the Grapevine is harrowing on a good day.  I can't imagine the terror those people must have experienced.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

The grapevine, although an unincorporated area by a pass in Ca, usually refers to the road.  It escallates to a high altitude, is windy, windy, either scorching hot or cold.  It is a trucker route as well, and scares the bejeezus out of me.  Going down it into the valley I feel like I am on a roller coaster road.  I grip the handles, closes my eyes, and ppphtt pppphytt air between my teeth.  My husband is a tail gater, LOL.  I have a stiff neck by the time we hit low ground!  Here are some pics of the "Grapevine"

Honored Contributor

Here is another pic during a little traffic jam, which is often

It can snow in a small area, maybea  5 mile stretch

Honored Contributor

@Puzzle Piece

I heard 101 was a mess. and will be for days.  GD had to spend 65 mins to go 6 miles  a few hours a go!  Yikes.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The scene from Santa Barbara- on the coast with highway 101 running through town.

We had lunch downtown today and saw an unusual amount of traffic heading south on the freeway from the patio of the restaurant. Then we headed towards home and decided to make a costco run. it is fifteen minutes north of our home. We decided to take the back road to avoid the traffic. We saw tons of southbound traffic almost to a standstill. Got to costco and everyone was on his/herphone trying to figure out what to do. We had forgotten that 5 was still closed. We bought mr henny's new tv and some harrys tomato soup for me and headed home. We skipped the back road, skipped the freeway. Took the main road from Goleta to Santa Barbara. (Hollister to State st.) Two hours later we arrived at a little restaraunt. mr henny was worried about my diabetic eating time table. We had dinner and it took half an hour more for us to get home. 

We felt so sorry for everyone trying to get to ventura or Los Angeles. It was crazy.

The ground is like clay. there is no moisture,and most of the ground cover has died. We might be in really serious trouble if el nino infact does bring us rain. That incident on 5 is just a sample of the trouble ahead.

I hope everyone makes plans and prepares. 

P.s. I hate the grape vine on a good day!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@hennypenny@shoekitty Yes it was a commuter nightmare for thousands.  Henny Penney, the alternate route through Santa Barbara is always mentioned as an option by the local news so folks will head your way.  Shoekitty, that's a lot of time to just go a few miles.  Sometimes, daily traffic takes that long. 

The forecasted El Nino may actually take place.  As you posted, we've had drought, dried up and dead vegetation, so now the soil will flow in many places.  Here, the local news is sending out the get prepared warnings - sandbags, food storage, light sources in case of loss of electricity and so on.  Of course most will ignore unless something does happen and then they will cry out for help. 

Now, our news is reporting that sea snakes are coming on shore in our beaches and this is an odd occurrence - maybe a sign of the storms to come? 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

It happened just a few miles from where we live, and not a drop of rain here.  The drive over the Grapevine is harrowing on a good day.  I can't imagine the terror those people must have experienced.

When I drive north, people's first assumption is that I will take I-5. No - not unless I'm driving to the Bay Area. As you say, the Grapevine is a horrible stretch in good weather. And after you get through that, miles and miles and hours and hours of flat and ugly.

I felt sorry yesterday for anyone who really *needed* to drive north yesterday. The 101 became the only other main north-south alternate, and it became a parking lot. The radio traffic people were saying - just don't even, for both routes.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@hennypenny wrote:

The scene from Santa Barbara- on the coast with highway 101 running through town.

We had lunch downtown today and saw an unusual amount of traffic heading south on the freeway from the patio of the restaurant. Then we headed towards home and decided to make a costco run. it is fifteen minutes north of our home. We decided to take the back road to avoid the traffic. We saw tons of southbound traffic almost to a standstill. Got to costco and everyone was on his/herphone trying to figure out what to do. We had forgotten that 5 was still closed. We bought mr henny's new tv and some harrys tomato soup for me and headed home. We skipped the back road, skipped the freeway. Took the main road from Goleta to Santa Barbara. (Hollister to State st.) Two hours later we arrived at a little restaraunt. mr henny was worried about my diabetic eating time table. We had dinner and it took half an hour more for us to get home. 

We felt so sorry for everyone trying to get to ventura or Los Angeles. It was crazy.

The ground is like clay. there is no moisture,and most of the ground cover has died. We might be in really serious trouble if el nino infact does bring us rain. That incident on 5 is just a sample of the trouble ahead.

I hope everyone makes plans and prepares. 

P.s. I hate the grape vine on a good day!!!!!

At least you know some of the back roads ;-) I got stuck once for hours driving north starting at Summerland because there was an accident. And people don't realize that it's at most a 2 lanes in each direction area. That's the icing on the cake :-(

Life without Mexican food is no life at all