Respected Contributor

Re: Anxiety worse in the morning....

Mom2twocuties,

Hang in there kiddo. It sounds like you are doing all the right things and I'm sure you will be better soon. ((hugs))

Respected Contributor

mom2twocuties...first let me say you are not alone in the struggle to cope with anxiety...I know for me just knowing I wasn't alone and that the awful feeling that came over me had an actual medical term helped me get to the stage where I could learn to manage it. Hang in there. Sounds like you're doing all the right things.

I know it doesn't work for everyone but for me a session of deep belly breathing and stetching followed by a morning walk 1st thing in the morning helped ease my anxiety. Even though it's been years since my last panic attack (caused by anxiety) I still get moments when something stressful overwhelms me and the feeling of a panic attack starts to come over me so I immediately start deep breathing and go for a brisk walk.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks to all with your responses of encouragement and ideasSmiley Happy...yes straykatz-when I exercise I feel some better. Sometime it feels so hard to even make myself do it( but I do). It really like you have to just shut your mind off to things. And sitting around doesn't help to do that!
Respected Contributor

On 3/16/2015 mom2twocuties said: It really like you have to just shut your mind off to things. And sitting around doesn't help to do that!

Yes!...exactly. Even when I didn't think I was thinking about things my subconsious was always in a whirling tailspin. So I worked hard to keep busy. And....I had to give up my morning ritual of sitting down with a hot cup of tea or two before starting my day....in fact I had to give up caffiene completely because it's a trigger and worsened my condition.

Frequent Contributor

No don't say that(lol)! I love my morning coffee, and if I don't have that I'll get a headache. Luckily I only have 1 cup a day and it doesn't seem to cause me a problem. Keeping busy is important.
Honored Contributor

I used to wake up every morning feeling somewhat anxious. I finally mentioned it to my doctor one day. She put me on a low-dose anti-depressant that I take before going to bed at night. Seems to have helped, so I keep taking it. In my case, taking it at night seemed to be the key.

Good luck to all in a similar boat. It's not a pleasant feeling.

Super Contributor

There is a biological component to mood (including anxiety) being worse in the morning. Are you waking early in the morning? like snapping awake at 3 AM? Biologicaly-based depression can follow the ""diurnal"" pattern (worse in the morning - feel better late in the day) Please discuss this with your doctor. (I had a lot of experience with this in the past).

Honored Contributor

I think that being anxious is a part of life.

If I woke up in the morning, with no concerns about what I will be doing for the day - I would think that I'm not pushing myself far enough.

A little dose of anxiety can "rev" me up for the day.

As long as it's not debilitating (ex.: would cause me to not do anything, pull up the covers and go back to sleep), then I think it helps me grow and stretch myself to be better and do more than the day before.

I wouldn't WANT to lose the butterflies in my tummy feeling that comes from doing something new or somewhat scary.

Frequent Contributor

Moonstone. Interesting. Well, when I do wake up in the middle of the night it is usually between 2-3. But for the last month have been sleeping well. ( not waking up, and I feel like I'm getting a restful sleep- thank goodness). It sounds like anxiety in the morning is kinda common. ( I guess I'm not alone). I think with my issues that I've dealt with for years and the anxiety of my situation( I have an upcoming medical test) is causing these feelings. I'm trying to keep my mind in a good place.
Honored Contributor

Hi there Smile

One of the world's greatest psychiatrists said you always check the physical first. See your internist for a full check-up because anxiety can be a part of an auto-immune problem... it's quite common.

I'm sorry you're having these troubles, I wish you the best!

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices