Valued Contributor

Re: Anxiety help

[ Edited ]

@Bella2022 wrote:

@kinda silly wrote:

This board has been my go to for many years to help center me and know that there are others like me. Even by just reading and not posting.
  I have anxiety and panic attacks and have for 30 + years.
I've been to my primary, ER, endochronologist and currently wearing a heart holter for 10 days to rule out heart. (Although ER did rule that out).
My heart feel like it races, I am on high alert, and I think I am ill when I'm not according to the doctors.  The state of the world frightens me.
I do take anti anxiety meds but they haven't been working for the past month. I spray lavender on my pillow, I do the slow breathing. 

I'm at my wits end.
What has helped you with panic attacks?

I started after my first child. I ended seeing a psychiatrist and was told I was chemical change. no more panic attacks but still get anxious . medication helped my panic attacks. hope this will help you.

I would like to correct chemical change to chemical imbalance.  I would like to say I tried both therapies and didn't help me.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Those are symptoms of an anxiety attack.

Find a therapist who is trained in EMDR therapy. It's excellent at getting to the root of many things including anxiety. It made a huge difference after Mom died and then when I had a period of extreme anxiety. 

Talk to your therapist about medication. Man offices have a psychiatrist who can prescribe. Or he/she could refer you to one. Or he/she could send a letter to your doctor asking that he/she to prescribe them. I know, people don't like to take pills. But it can help with the extreme feelings of anxiety and is worth it, imo.

My son is an MSW therapist and has also been trained in EMDR. He has seen a lot of good come from it.

They are syptoms of an Anxiety Disorder.  An "attack" would likely be panic.  Panic Disorder is a type of anxiety disorder.

layperson semantics.

@gertrudecloset   Wait a minute - now you are diagnosing without proper credentials??  As you asked @manny2 - how do you come up with this diagnosis/distinction and what are your credentials?

We need to be clear about who can and cannot give out info-it is important to not mislead posters in need of help.

Serious question for a serious condition.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

Those are symptoms of an anxiety attack.

Find a therapist who is trained in EMDR therapy. It's excellent at getting to the root of many things including anxiety. It made a huge difference after Mom died and then when I had a period of extreme anxiety. 

Talk to your therapist about medication. Man offices have a psychiatrist who can prescribe. Or he/she could refer you to one. Or he/she could send a letter to your doctor asking that he/she to prescribe them. I know, people don't like to take pills. But it can help with the extreme feelings of anxiety and is worth it, imo.

My son is an MSW therapist and has also been trained in EMDR. He has seen a lot of good come from it.

They are syptoms of an Anxiety Disorder.  An "attack" would likely be panic.  Panic Disorder is a type of anxiety disorder.

layperson semantics.

@gertrudecloset   Wait a minute - now you are diagnosing without proper credentials??  As you asked @manny2 - how do you come up with this diagnosis/distinction and what are your credentials?

We need to be clear about who can and cannot give out info-it is important to not mislead posters in need of help.

Serious question for a serious condition.

You read my mind @Cakers3  

Honored Contributor

@kinda sillyI hope you are feeling better. But as I'm sure you know, the emotional support you have received here is not enough.

No one here has the slightest idea what we are talking about when it comes to your particular serious issues with anxiety. All we have to give you is our personal stories about what worked for us as individuals.

Since your chemistry is unique to you, you need to work with a professional to determine the right plan for you.

Every personal story here is well meant. And recommendations are really personal stories as well. We all care about you and want you to know that. What you should actually do is up to you and your prescribing professional.

No one here is qualified to advise you. We can't meet with you, therefore we can't diagnose what is going on. The most helpful advice we can give is to keep trying and to get quality professionals involved as best you can.

I totally support your statement that you intend to get a referral to a psychiatrist who can work with you on getting the right meds for you.

Monday is tomorrow, so I'd recommend getting on the phone with your most recent doctor to start discussing referrals and medications first thing on Monday morning.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Contributor

Thank you Porcelain. I have already emailed her. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@kinda silly   I hope you find solutions that work and keep at it until you do.

I wish you peace and happiness.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Contributor
Update:
I met with my endocrinologist this morning to follow up on some tests I had. One of the tests show high cortisol levels. He doesnt want to diagnose Cushings Disease because he wants the anxiety symptoms to he addressed. He messaged my primary doctor and I shared with him that I’m on high alert and am not functioning. He agreed that I need to see a psychiatrist and a therapist. The dr also shared that he suffers from anxiety as well.
Esteemed Contributor

@kinda silly wrote:
Update:
I met with my endocrinologist this morning to follow up on some tests I had. One of the tests show high cortisol levels. He doesnt want to diagnose Cushings Disease because he wants the anxiety symptoms to he addressed. He messaged my primary doctor and I shared with him that I’m on high alert and am not functioning. He agreed that I need to see a psychiatrist and a therapist. The dr also shared that he suffers from anxiety as well.

Good for you @kinda silly  It sounds like you will have a medical team working in tandem. That’s the best approach. Good luck to you. Keep us posted. I have no doubt you will have a positive outcome.

Contributor
Thank you @manny2.
Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

I have them but were never prescribed any meds for them.  Use to feel comfortable coming here but now this board only gives me anxiety.  Too many meanies.

Yes, so many meanies...

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri