Respected Contributor

@songbird wrote:

That's a phobia about anticipation.  Usually occurs the day of an appointment to doctor, dentist, meeting, anything you mark on your calendar.  I suffer from that.  I get very nervous and my stomach gets tied up in knots, palms sweat etc.  I always think the worse. Strange thing is once I'm there....I'm actually OK.  It's just the anticipation part.  Does anyone suffer from this?  It's very bazaar.  Because there are very few things that bother me. But this never seems to go away.  As where I got the name.  A doctor told me once I explained the symptoms.  Apparently its not that rare.

Believe it or not after years and years of experiencing this in myself, I have learned to "control" or almost eliminate this type of anxiety in myself, by being aware of the onset of it and then mentally talking myself out of it, reassuring myself and logically asking myself why I feel almost panic-striken and learning to mentally relax.  It takes practice to not allow the anxiety because it can be overwhelming.  But when I sort it out in my mind, it is reduced or eliminated. 

Honored Contributor

Sounds like me when I had to stand up in speech class.

Honored Contributor

Many many people have "white coat syndrome" including myself.  I am not a person who suffers from a lot of anxiety nor do I take medications for it. I don't judge people who need it for medical reasons either.  I realize some do. Things I am learning to do and not to do.  

Don't drink coffee before a doctor appointment

Take in a few days worth of BP readings to prove they aren't that high daily

Make a list of concerns and stick to it.

I think for me, it's worrying about expressing myself so the new generation of doctors can understand.  My finding is that some doctors do much better with geriatric patients than others.  Maybe some of them didn't have a grandma and grandpa.....who knows!!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm having terrible anxiety right now b/c in just a few hours I will be having FIVE teeth extracted and then seven implants put in. I've never had a tooth pulled ever in my whole life let alone getting implants!Woman Indifferent I'm super nervous right now.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I'm having terrible anxiety right now b/c in just a few hours I will be having FIVE teeth extracted and then seven implants put in. I've never had a tooth pulled ever in my whole life let alone getting implants!Woman Indifferent I'm super nervous right now.

Good luck, @SilleeMee, I bet it won't be an ordeal. You will probably not feel anything but may have so pain for a couple days. You'll be fine with your shiny new teeth. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Thank you @suzyQ3 .

I'll be walking around semi-toothless for a few months until the screws in my jawbone heal. Good thing they aren't in the front of my mouth! Woman LOL I'm going to miss eating and chewing regular food for a while.Woman Sad

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 The same thing happened to me the first time I flew to Europe. I had to ask my driver to pull over because I had to throw up. It hasn't happened again.

Esteemed Contributor

I get so scared and stressed before any kind of medical appointment it's awful.  I can't sleep the night before,expecting the worst.  I throw myself into a state of such stress.  I'm going for a stress test Monday and I'm so scared.  I cancelled it twice before.

I empathize with anyone suffering with this. I know what you all go through.  Wish me luck Monday.😲

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

@songbird Yes that is me!!!!! I get myself so worked up over things that make me a bit nervous, and I worry myself about it, and then once I do it I am like oh that wasn't nearly as bad as I worked myself up to belive it would be....

I have what they call "White Coat Syndrome" when you get so nervous before a Dr's appt, that your blood pressure is higher than it normally is.   I am a little bit better than I used to be, bu I still get myself worked up!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@alliswell  I really admire your learning to control your fear.  I would love to know your technique.  Care to share it?  

Trees are the lungs of the Earth