Honored Contributor

Anti Smoking Commercials on TV

[ Edited ]

There is a commercial running on TV now with a lady who had jaw cancer surgery.. She was a smoker for years.  They show the picture of her before surgery smiling ...and after with no jaw and most of her throat and shoulder cut out.  Not a pretty sight.....

here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMCdzjAH8Y

I think the Yul Brenner commercial filmed prior to his death...where he talked to you from the grave was the most moving anti smoke commercial ever filmed. That commercial that came out in 1989 really was the catalyst that made me quit smoking cold turkey  in 1990.   I know it saved my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI

I think these commercials, though hard to watch.....are very poignant and relevant to a wake up call that might save one life.....or thousands. 

I am so very grateful  🙏🏻

Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Smoking Commercials on TV

It should be against the law for Tobacco companies to put ingredients in cigarettes to make them so addicting like some drugs that you cannot get off them. They also should not be allowed to put what they put in them to make them keep burning instead of going out like a cigar when you set it down.

I don't think people are smoking like they used too. Not sure if kids are picking up the bad habit or not like they did when I was younger.

My neighbor smoked herself to death.

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden - Yay!!  I am SO happy you stopped!  

When I was 12 I watched my dad die with lung cancer that metastasized to his brain.  He was just 51.  The true irony of this is, my dad and mom had nine children.  We all watched him die.  I am the only one to never have smoked.  

My father-in-law had COPD from smoking.  He had a heartattck and his lungs weren't strong enough to pull him through it.  He was just 60.  

Honored Contributor

@DrakesMomma wrote:

@SeaMaiden - Yay!!  I am SO happy you stopped!  

When I was 12 I watched my dad die with lung cancer that metastasized to his brain.  He was just 51.  The true irony of this is, my dad and mom had nine children.  We all watched him die.  I am the only one to never have smoked.  

My father-in-law had COPD from smoking.  He had a heartattck and his lungs weren't strong enough to pull him through it.  He was just 60.  

@DrakesMomma That must have been so hard for you at age 12 to see and deal with your Father's death. So so sorry.

Esteemed Contributor

There’s a woman who comes to several of the classes I attend at the Y and she looks like the woman in the anti-smoking ads. I have also seen people at my ENT surgeon’s office who have had to undergo this drastic surgery. If that doesn’t get people to stop smoking, nothing will. My husband lost his father and his brother to heart attacks caused by smoking. My son-in-law lost both his parents to lung cancer caused by smoking. My sister in-law died of lung cancer caused by smoking despite the fact that her husband, my husband’s brother, dropped dead of a heart attack at 51 because of his smoking. I don’t know what more to say.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, my sweet friend @SeaMaiden.  It really was.  

Honored Contributor

They really pack a punch!  I think I remember that Yul Brenner one from years ago.

The only one that gets me kind of angry (just a little because I think it does good to make people who might have just arrived on the planet learn something) is the lady with her baby in the NICU because she smoked all during her pregnancy.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

Is her name Terrie Hall?

If so, those commercials have been put for several years.

She died in 2013...so the Public saw the slow death of smoking.

The old pro-smoking ads have been compared to our current

Standard American Diet food ads...even the prescription ads.

The product makes it socially acceptable to be unhealthy

because everyone does it. And unfortunately, the lobbies 

are just as powerful. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden

That's TERRIFIC that you stopped smoking!

I hope people take these commercials to heart and quit!!

My beloved aunt died of lung cancer, she tried different methods to stop, but she just wouldn't give up her cigarettes!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Is her name Terrie Hall?

If so, those commercials have been put for several years.

She died in 2013...so the Public saw the slow death of smoking.

The old pro-smoking ads have been compared to our current

Standard American Diet food ads...even the prescription ads.

The product makes it socially acceptable to be unhealthy

because everyone does it. And unfortunately, the lobbies 

are just as powerful. 

@sidsmom  No, it is a more current commercial than that one I believe. I could not seem to locate it on U Tube. But they both are very moving.....