Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Smoking Commercials on TV

Sidsmom - For some reason I'm thinking it was some kind of 'don't smoke' cutesy, for kids, thing.   That had to be so long ago that I'm probably just confused.   Heh - that should be my new name.  I CRS anymore.

Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I wish there was a way to get my next door neighbors to see those.  I live in a condo and have asthma.  On both sides of me I have middle aged couples who both smoke incessantly and only do it outside on their back patios.  I can't even open my windows without having a house full of smoke, even thought their homes are smoke free because they only smoke outside.

@2blonde That is awful!👎 so sorry you have to deal with that☹️

Respected Contributor

Cigarettes are so addictive.  I haven’t smoked for more than 20 years, but the thought of wanting a cigarette still crosses my mind occasionally.  And I was a sporadic smoker.

What got me to stop were some hard-hitting PSAs back then. The one that made the most impression were side-by-side images of a healthy lung and a smoker’s lung. I was never able to smoke again without those images in my mind.

Respected Contributor

Yet movies have lots of smoking by the actors!  The movie industry makes it look ok, even "cool".  They should make a real anti smoking statement and show less if it in their films. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I hate smoking ,watched too many in my family die from it.

@goldensrbest

Metastatic colon cancer to her lungs, both of them 5 cm, put her at Stage 4 when discovered, killed my beloved sister at age 72.  She had been a 60 year smoker and smoked on the deck at the hospice the day before she went into her final coma. 

My mother was far more fragile.  She had been smoking for 30 years when she died of lung cancer at age 49.

I too hate smoking.  It is a killer.  Neither my mother nor my sister ever even tried to stop.

A little late, but I've only seen one commercial against smoking so far, and it's the woman whose "after" photo is quite grotesque.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

There is a commercial running on TV now with a lady who had jaw cancer surgery.. She was a smoker for years.  They show the picture of her before surgery smiling ...and after with no jaw and most of her throat and shoulder cut out.  Not a pretty sight.....

here it is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMCdzjAH8Y

I think the Yul Brenner commercial filmed prior to his death...where he talked to you from the grave was the most moving anti smoke commercial ever filmed. That commercial that came out in 1989 really was the catalyst that made me quit smoking cold turkey  in 1990.   I know it saved my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNjunlWUJJI

I think these commercials, though hard to watch.....are very poignant and relevant to a wake up call that might save one life.....or thousands. 

I am so very grateful  🙏🏻

My Mom was a HUGE Yul Brenner fan and she would watch this commercial while smoking...saying how sad and what a great actor he was!  I looked at her and said "why don't you listen to him then....QUIT smoking!"  It didn't work for her or my Dad....when my Mom was diagnosed with emphysema she then quit!  I am not sure if these commercials are effective...maybe for some they are.