Honored Contributor

Re: Anti Smoking Commercials on TV

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden

Is her name Terrie Hall?

If so, those commercials have been put for several years.

She died in 2013...so the Public saw the slow death of smoking.

The old pro-smoking ads have been compared to our current

Standard American Diet food ads...even the prescription ads.

The product makes it socially acceptable to be unhealthy

because everyone does it. And unfortunately, the lobbies 

are just as powerful. 

@sidsmom

Cigarettes are dangerous yet they were first peddled as a "cure" for indigestion and other ailments....the tobacco industry knew what it was doing....

I dont understand cigarettes were banned from TV because they are  hazardous to health, yet these pharmacuetical companies are allowed to peddle their drugs with side effects as worse as cigarettes and in some cases even worse!!  All you have to do is "follow the money" to see how these things work...

But in the end each individual has to claim responsibility for the decsions they make be it cigarettes etc etc.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Smoking is an addiction, I don't think those commercials stop many people from smoking.  If there is any value to them, they might prevent some kids and young people from beginning to smoke.  

Honored Contributor

I have never been a smoker but I remember that Yul Brynner commercial vividly.  Aside from the devastating health issues, how can anyone afford to smoke?  I think it's like $12 a pack now????!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom  The commercial was just on so I was able to find it....put out by the CDC. Here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yMCdzjAH8Y

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Smoking is an addiction, I don't think those commercials stop many people from smoking.  If there is any value to them, they might prevent some kids and young people from beginning to smoke.  

THAT is a valuable point!   

I haven't seen any numbers lately, but I was thinking that there are a lot less cigarette smokers than there used to be, over the decades.    I'm sure that is for a number of reasons.

Honored Contributor

22A7B475-6CB4-4375-95BB-80E41A11E599.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I have never been a smoker but I remember that Yul Brynner commercial vividly.  Aside from the devastating health issues, how can anyone afford to smoke?  I think it's like $12 a pack now????!!!!!

I haven't smoked in some 27 years.  I remember a time, quite a few years ago, in line at the checkstand at the grocery store, and the customer before me asked for a pack of ciggies.  It was $10 - for ONE pack!

I about fell out over that.  When I smoked $10 bought a whole carton of Virginia Slim Light Menthols.  

I really don't know how a lot of people can afford to smoke these days.  That's some serious level of inflation!

Honored Contributor

William Talman (Hamilton Burger) did the first anti-smoking campaign. I think he died in 1968 from lung cancer. Paul Drake (can't remember his first name) died from throat cancer. Remember, the Perry Mason show had a cigarette sponser.

Now I remember it was William Hopper.

Raymond Burr,altho a heavy smoker, objected to the product placement of the cigarettes.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden Congrats to you!! Many try, few succeed. Be very proud of what you've done. : )

I often wonder how much these ads do to actually stop the behavior. We've had anti-drug use ads on for decades.....hows that worked for us?

Driving drunk ads and their aftermath.....yep, hasn't stopped and the numbers keep going UP.

Anti-obesity ads.....oh that's right. Not allowed.

An ex-smoker told me that her reason for stopping wasn't due to health but the cost. She'd rather spend it on something else.

Another friend smokes but only around her birthday and Christmas. Why then? She gets them as GIFTS for her birthday and Christmas from family members.

I just...can't. My parents both smoked (my mom while she was pregnant with me). To this day, I wonder if my respiratory issues are due to their disgusting habit. I'll never know.

Again, congratulation to you, @SeaMaiden. Take a bow for what you've been able to do. : )

Respected Contributor

I see the one with the woman who smoked while pregnant - They show the baby hospitalized and attached to tubes.  Heartbreaking.

I tried smoking when I was a teen, but  (thank goodness) it made me feel nauseous.