Respected Contributor

Re: Anthony Bourdain dead of apparent suicide

You can speculate all you want, and the majority of us will never be able to figure out why someone commits suicide. It doesn't matter what is going on in the world, because this person is in their own dark place. Sad. These latest two suicides by high profile people especially grab our attention because they left behind young children. Makes it unbelievable that they would do such a thing, but like I said - they are in a dark place and not thinking about others. 

Respected Contributor

I woke up to this terrible news. I'm still in shock. What a huge loss.

Parts Unknown was one of my favorite shows. He introduced so many different cultures and food to the public and showed food doesn't have to be snooty or from a 5-star restaurant to be good. My favorite episode is where he dines with the former President in Vietnam. There was also an episode he did in Russia with a Russian government official who criticized Putin on air with him, and he ended up getting assassinated. Bourdain said that really affected him and made him think about his responsibility as a host. His shows and interviews were always so interesting.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

Re: Anthony Bourdain commits suicide

[ Edited ]

On my local news last night they said suicide rates have increased by 30% since 1999, mostly those in their 50s and women. I mostly blame technology (smart phones) for this, amongst other things (social media)...just saying.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wonder if the type of suicide can tell us anything.

Here Anthony experienced the euphoric feeling of hard drugs,

heroin specifically, so why wouldn’t he have chosen that

as his one-last-act?

No answers needed...just trying to make sense of the un-sensable.

Honored Contributor

I just could not believe I was reading the correct name on the headline this morning.  He just always appeared so full of life, but yet we never know what someone is going through.  Kate Spade, Queen Maxima of the Netherlands sister on Wed. night and Mr. Bourdain.  So much pain for so many people and the families that are left behind.  My heart goes out to all of them.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee I heard or read online that the rates were up 60%...whatever the number it is very alarming and sad.It makes me feel like I need to take a very in-depth look at everyone 8 love and care about.

i had a gym friend who committed suicide a few years back.He was there working out everyday and very fit looking.He always told crazy silly jokes and made you laugh.Then one day he just wasn’t there anymore...no indication that anything was wrong the day before...still the same goofy jokes.The onlypossible indicator that anything was wrong was something he said to one of the guys.He said that he was getting old and his workouts weren’t as effective and that was it.The person he told that to felt horrible for not noticing the clue but I don’t think anyone would.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom@I read that this type of suicide is done because there is no rescue.A drug overdose can fail or be treated.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I wonder if the type of suicide can tell us anything.

Here Anthony experienced the euphoric feeling of hard drugs,

heroin specifically, so why wouldn’t he have chosen that

as his one-last-act?

No answers needed...just trying to make sense of the un-sensable.

Hanging oneself is considered a 'clean' way to commit suicide. It makes it easier, if I may say so, for family and friends to deal with it...something the person thought about beforehand by leaving a less traumatized body. It sort of says something about that person before they died.

Honored Contributor

I've lost two immediate family members to suicide. Believe me, I have often wondered why and why they chose to do it their ways. 

Honored Contributor

I read the post about Norman Vincent Peale's book on one of the other threads about this subject earlier this week. It was removed and in staying with the forum's guidelines, it should be ok to provide a link.  Comfort for Survivors

@goldensrbest  @apple1964  @dooBdoo  @LTT1  thinking of you. Thank you.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.