Frequent Contributor

Re: Antarctic Ice Loss Has Tripled in a Decade

They were talking about building desalinazation plants in CA when I was in elementary school in the early 1960's. All the gulf states in the Middle East have them now, so what's the problem with CA? The melting of the ice in Anarctic is due to molten hot magma from a volcano.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@silkyk wrote:

And yet I just read this yesterday from the Natational Geographic.

Now, a new study by a team of NASA climate scientists has sparked controversy by reporting that “Antarctica is actually gaining ice.”

Scientists concluded in the Journal of Glaciology that the loss of glacier mass in Antarctica’s western region is being offset by thickening of glaciers on the continent’s eastern interior, which has experienced increased snowfall. The result: A net gain of about 100 billion tons of ice per year, according to the report.

@silkyk  Antarctica ice is always thicker than the ice in the Arctic. 

And regarding the polar bears:  they only live in the Arctic. 

Yep. My best friend has been to both poles. Polar bears in the Arctic; Penguins in the Antarctic. I saw all her pictures...they were fabulous. There was one area of Antarctica where there was a hot spring. They actually went swimming there amonst all the ice and snow.

QVC Customer Care

Respected Contributor

@WVRhyter wrote:

They were talking about building desalinazation plants in CA when I was in elementary school in the early 1960's. All the gulf states in the Middle East have them now, so what's the problem with CA? The melting of the ice in Anarctic is due to molten hot magma from a volcano.

They still are.  From Jan 2018   https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/29/california-water-desalination-projects-move-forward-with-new-...

Respected Contributor

So many conflicting reports! 

If you read some info you'd be led to believe that the US has caused all of it. Hardly.

Geological blip or doomsday bound? We, most likely, will not be around to know.

The ones who blather the most get into their gas sucking airplanes and limos without a care of their "footprint" I guess when you are making millions you can do as you please. Up to and including touting that you invented the internet!

Exhausting. 

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

My husband found this very article and we had a discussion this morning and now here.

I take great exception to intellect without discipline.  Intellect which thrives on making doomsday predictions.

Where's the real story?  Give me 100% or nothing at all.  Where's the science-real science?

In reality, the east side of Antarctica is experiencing some melt.  However, the west side is experiencing the opposite.  This scenario is a replay of what's been going on historically in that region.  Additionally, the Arctic is building.

One simply cannot take data from one year and conclude, "Oh my God, it's the end of the world.  We're all going to drown!!!?"  Never ever take the word of one person or organization or one group with a single political or personal bent.  Do comprehensive research.  Embrace the real truth, not the reel truth.