Honored Contributor

Re: Antarctic Ice Loss Has Tripled in a Decade

@hckynut wrote:

Sorry @Cakers3, just not a believer. I have seen and heard too many conflicting studies by other well respected oceanographers to be convinced. An expert I am not, just too many opposing studies for my liking, sorry!

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  Hi John-it's ok.  I understand the problem with conflicting studies.  No need to be sorry. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

More and more people don't 'believe' in facts.  That's seriously concerning, sad, and tragic.   

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  My derm tried to get me to do the Efudex tx a 2nd time.

Fool me once, fool me twice-NOT.

I hope your DH feel better than I did, or your problematic experience.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

More and more people don't 'believe' in facts.  That's seriously concerning, sad, and tragic.   

@chickenbutt  Unfortunately studies can be conflicting; and sometimes people will side with the study that shores up their own personal belief.

People often form their opinion before knowing about any studies; and once a study comes out that does not agree with that opinion they will stick with what they believed all along.

I think the issue of the melting ice is a good example; understanding what ice shelves are subject to melting and which ones have not been hit yet is key.

I will give credit, though, to any person who recognized the overall situation our planet is facing and does his/her best as best as they can to conserve, recycle, etc.

Mother Earth does weep, though.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Don't worry, 1% of scientists say climate change is a fraud. That's good enough for some people. In fact, they are betting our lives on it.

1% of earth scientists? I doubt that. Who ARE these people in the 1% of the scienfitic community?

@RainCityWoman, I do believe that @chessylady's whole post was tongue-in-cheek. She was laughing at that 1% and at the people who cling to the outliers at the expense of all life on earth.

Basically, all I was saying is that I doubt any of that minute percentage is part of the earth science community of scholars. She is right, though, that percentages in the high 90's DO concur with the current studies of climate change and man made causes. It does seem obtuse for anyone to hear those results and conclude the 1-3 percent are the ones to listen to and believe.

Respected Contributor

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Not true at all.  Ice has been building like crazy.  

Reminds me of the Canadians who laughed at the scientists coming in to document the decreasing polar bear population.  Oops, they were breeding like maniacs.  

Prove it.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

http://static.onepoliticalplaza.com/upload/2016/3/4/1457110101569-c9.jpg

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@Blahblahvampemer wrote:

Not true at all.  Ice has been building like crazy.  

Reminds me of the Canadians who laughed at the scientists coming in to document the decreasing polar bear population.  Oops, they were breeding like maniacs.  

Prove it.

@reiki604@Blahblahvampemer  The polar bear population is divided into 19 groups/areas.   Two of these groups have seen significant decline while two have seen an increase, for starters.

Polar bear population decreased in areas where extreme hunting took place (NE Canada); once protections were put in place it's obvious that the population would recover.  That is NO proof that ice caps are not melting.

The issue of the polar bear populations isn't about one large group of bears.  The Hudson Bay (W. Canada) and Beufort Sea populations are documented decline in adult polar bear weight and cub survival.

You cannot pick one population/area as proof that the bears are increasing because it simply isn't true.

The melting of the polar ice/caps/shelves are not happening all across the continent; one ice shelf may be melting while another may not be.........yet.

Respected Contributor

And yet I just read this yesterday from the Natational Geographic.

Now, a new study by a team of NASA climate scientists has sparked controversy by reporting that “Antarctica is actually gaining ice.”

Scientists concluded in the Journal of Glaciology that the loss of glacier mass in Antarctica’s western region is being offset by thickening of glaciers on the continent’s eastern interior, which has experienced increased snowfall. The result: A net gain of about 100 billion tons of ice per year, according to the report.

Honored Contributor

@silkyk wrote:

And yet I just read this yesterday from the Natational Geographic.

Now, a new study by a team of NASA climate scientists has sparked controversy by reporting that “Antarctica is actually gaining ice.”

Scientists concluded in the Journal of Glaciology that the loss of glacier mass in Antarctica’s western region is being offset by thickening of glaciers on the continent’s eastern interior, which has experienced increased snowfall. The result: A net gain of about 100 billion tons of ice per year, according to the report.

@silkyk  Antarctica ice is always thicker than the ice in the Arctic. 

And regarding the polar bears:  they only live in the Arctic.