Respected Contributor

Re: Antarctic Ice Loss Has Tripled in a Decade

Hi @SilleeMee, I believe that too.  We've reached the point of no return.  I was, one day, just toodling around on line and started seeing actual pictures of the North Pole (once referred to as the frigid zone) and they were comparing the pictures from the mid 1900s to today.  Well, did I get a shocker!  The early ones looked like the "frozen north" and the recent ones looked just like a beach front resort.  I was astounded.  I always believed in climate change because, well, the climate where I live has changed quite alot.  Why would nations around the globe try to "fix" this if it weren't so.  I feel they're being warned and maybe staunchly by scientists and then they get scared, have meetings, and money, the almight dollar wins out and nothing gets done.  The one group I really think is wonderful is Green Peace.  They personally try to protect wild life with their own lives.  If I let myself think about all this too long, I get very depressed.  Not for me, but for the younger generation coming up, all the wildlife, etc.  There's one thing I do know for sure.  Jesus will one day create a new cosmos and a new earth.

Honored Contributor

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Having participated in a few of these climate change crisis threads my take is : First you have to convince a large group of people it exists, myself included. Too many conflicting reports coming out that refute each other. Then that goes to the politics of it all. What are the agendas of the people putting out the data. Second it is a political issue like it or not it is. Third is the hypocrites who tell people what they should while not doing it themselves. I do my part and I am bowing out as these threads go nowhere until it loses the us against them vibe. 

@Nancy Drew, if you are not a "believer," as you like to phrase it, why bother doing doing your part?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Hi bikerbabe.  They showed starving polar bears that looked so very thin.  I cried.  They need the ice shelf to hunt seals and that only lasts for such a little time because of climate change.  They will probably, one day, disappear.  We used to have ferocious winters when I was a kid.  It snowed from October to April and it STAYED, it didn't melt until the next snowfall.  Temperatures were freezing.  Our winters now are a joke.  Snowfall is sporadic. 

Respected Contributor

SuzyQ, you are somewhat correct but I am very concerned about climate change, the fact that human caused factors are accelerating the symptoms and that we are doing nothing about the beginning of the end of the world as we know it. Lots of human suffering that won't be prevented.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@77yangya,

I think the "new Earth" will be Mars. Lets hope we get it right on our second try. 'Three's a charm' may not be an option at that point, I'm afraid. 

Scientists are saying that our toddlers of today will be the first to colonize Mars. So as the song goes...'Teach your children well'.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

Well, Nancy Drew 1, they stopped leaded gasoline to help the atmosphere.  All this recycling is to stop burning garbage to help the atmosphere.  Other nations will not even try, they don't have the money anyway.  Like I said in another post, where I live, it's changed quite a lot since I was a kid, quite a lot and that's only where I live.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do people assume that because some believe that the changes in the planets climate are part of the natural process of the plant, that they are not good stewards of the planets natural resources?  They are not mutually exclusive beliefs.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

SuzyQ, you are somewhat correct but I am very concerned about climate change, the fact that human caused factors are accelerating the symptoms and that we are doing nothing about the beginning of the end of the world as we know it. Lots of human suffering that won't be prevented.

@chessylady, that's exactly what I was trying to express.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

Having participated in a few of these climate change crisis threads my take is : First you have to convince a large group of people it exists, myself included. Too many conflicting reports coming out that refute each other. Then that goes to the politics of it all. What are the agendas of the people putting out the data. Second it is a political issue like it or not it is. Third is the hypocrites who tell people what they should while not doing it themselves. I do my part and I am bowing out as these threads go nowhere until it loses the us against them vibe. 

@Nancy Drew, if you are not a "believer," as you like to phrase it, why bother doing doing your part?

She does it b/c it's the correct thing to do. @suzyQ3

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Nancy Drew wrote:

She does it b/c it's the correct thing to do. @suzyQ3

@maestra, well, then I dub her a "believer." :-)

O/T, my husband just finished a course of that heinous chemo cream on his face. Now he understands what I went through, poor guy.