Esteemed Contributor

Re: Antarctic Ice Loss Has Tripled in a Decade

[ Edited ]

@jpie wrote:

I am having a 30 y/o AC unit replaced today as this is being typed.  It has still been going strong, but instead of using Freon as a coolant, Puron is more environmentally sound.

I am looking forward to lowering my electric bill as well as installing a positive replacement to help our environment.

Every person and their actions matter!

I know what you mean. Each action helps collectively with other actions. I recently sold my 15 year old car which had only 50,000 miles on it. I had really tried to consolidate my trips and not be using the car all the time. The only reason I sold it was it was starting to cost me money for repairs, the most recent being a $1500 clutch replacement, and it didn't have the kind of safety features on it that new cars have. I expect to keep the new one 15 years as well. I'm also into the neon lightbulbs, which last far far longer than incandescent. Low volume flush toilets, etc. also make a big difference in water usage.

Respected Contributor

@RainCityWoman

How fun, a new car!  Enjoy  the new car smell in the next few weeks!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jpie wrote:

@RainCityWoman

How fun, a new car!  Enjoy  the new car smell in the next few weeks!

I love the new car smell, but I REALLY love the backup camera that warns me if I get too close to something I don't see. And then there's all the smart car stuff that gives me a readout  and analysis of my whole engine, etc., via email every month. Not to mention OnStar which gives me an SOS button for an emergency!!!! And the car even locks me in before I set it into motion and frees me when I am ready to decar. It's a miracle!!!  LOL.

Honored Contributor

It's so sad that we are no longer even trying to do anything to make this better or prevent it from getting any worse.  I'll never understand.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I have a neighbor that refuses to recycle anything.  The cost is the same by our collection company. Recycle bin out on Monday and the next day the trash bin.  She is too lazy to put out two bins on two separate days.  I opted for a large recycle bin and a small garbage bin. It saves me $1.00/month too! I love having this option.

Things like this are why our planet is in such bad shape.  

She uses her recycle bin for old mulch and leaves! 🤬 Stores it on the side of her house by me!  Also puts her leaves in plastic trash bags and lets them sit for months until she finally gets rid of them. I have offered to give her yard waste collection bags and she doesn't want them (even though they are picked up for free three times/year).

Clueless and lazy people do nothing to help our beautiful planet!  Rant over, LOL!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack wrote:

It's so sad that we are no longer even trying to do anything to make this better or prevent it from getting any worse.  I'll never understand.

It's dreadfully sad, @NickNack.   There's a manipulative tactic called "gaslighting" that I think contributed to people gradually being misled into thinking the problem of climate change and environmental damage isn't real, perilous, and it has caused people to be misled into believing that there's nothing we can do to try and save the precious earth for coming generations.   We all should be on the same side, looking into and applying anything and everything we can to stop the damage.   Those images of the island of plastic waste in the Pacific, more than 600,000 square miles of it and twice the size of Texas, alone should be enough to make us stop, think, and start reading and trying to understand the scientific research.   As the saying goes, "We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we are borrowing it from our children.”

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I have a neighbor that refuses to recycle anything.  The cost is the same by our collection company. Recycle bin out on Monday and the next day the trash bin.  She is too lazy to put out two bins on two separate days.  I opted for a large recycle bin and a small garbage bin. It saves me $1.00/month too! I love having this option.

She uses her recycle bin for old mulch and leaves! 🤬 Stores it on the side of her house by me!  Also puts her leaves in plastic trash bags and lets them sit for months until she finally gets rid of them. I have offered to give her yard waste collection bags and she doesn't want them (even though they are picked up for free three times/year).

Clueless and lazy people do nothing to help our beautiful planet!  Rant over, LOL!

Seattle has had recycle way before it was hip to recycle. We have solid waste, glass, plastics, and metal, and yard waste. Three bins that are easily accessed. I can't imagine a reason WHY someone would not take advantage of that. It's kind of a no brainer.

Respected Contributor

Rainyday Girl, Bloomberg reviewed scientific papers and found that 1% to 3% of scientists are skeptical of global warming but that means a minimum of 97% of scientists agree. 

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@chessylady wrote:

Don't worry, 1% of scientists say climate change is a fraud. That's good enough for some people. In fact, they are betting our lives on it.

1% of earth scientists? I doubt that. Who ARE these people in the 1% of the scienfitic community?

@RainCityWoman, I do believe that @chessylady's whole post was tongue-in-cheek. She was laughing at that 1% and at the people who cling to the outliers at the expense of all life on earth.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@jpie wrote:

I have a friend who doesn't recycle.  I think they just don't want to go to the trouble.  I have tried to explain to her the importance of it, but she won't listen.  She blames it on her husband, but I think it's both of them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau