Honored Contributor

Re: Antarctic Ice Loss Has Tripled in a Decade

I've always found glaciers interesting.  So I do read about this info or watch shows on t.v. about them.  However, I'm not afraid.  

Esteemed Contributor

Bottom line, the population is to large for the planet to sustain with the lifestyle everyone wants.  Unless you want to address that issue everything is just talk.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I don't see what we can possibly lose by cleaning up the environment? If it helps global warming great, if it doesn't ,we are still ahead of the game. It is better for the planet and every living thing, to make it as clean as we can

It will add jobs, improve the health of every living thing. The oceans are  garbage dumps ,so is every thing else

You don't have to be  in either camp, to do what is right, for all of us..

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I don't see what we can possibly lose by cleaning up the environment? If it helps global warming great, if it doesn't ,we are still ahead of the game. It is better for the planet and every living thing, to make it as clean as we can

It will add jobs, improve the health of every living thing. The oceans are  garbage dumps ,so is every thing else

You don't have to be  in either camp, to do what is right, for all of us..

@cherry  The problem is those in the camp denying the facts about what is happening to our planet are the ones who dig in their heels and think all the suggestions to help are the ones who will not be told what to do-out of misinformation, ignorance, stubborness-you name it.

While I agree that every little bit helps, I cringe when I see remarks such as "it won't happen in my lifetime so why should I care".  Newsflash: it is already happening.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Perhaps this article is a better choice?  https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/02/ross-ice-shelf-bore-antarctica-freezing/

@esmeraldagooch  The article only talks about the Ross Ice Shelf which has seen major collapses in the past-not just my fact but it says so in the article.

The Pine Island Glacier and the Thwaites Glacier contribute more to melting ice flow.

Esteemed Contributor

@Yahooey

Your "little blue marble" reference brought tears to my eyes.

My sis always uses this term and, years ago, I bought her a lovely charm of the earth made in lapis lazuli.   She loves the image of the earth from afar (who doesn't?).

I agree, I think our little blue marble is in grave danger.

Honored Contributor

"Deep bore into Antartic finds FREEZING ICE, not MELTING as expected", off the West Coast of Antarctica

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

"Deep bore into Antartic finds FREEZING ICE, not MELTING as expected", off the West Coast of Antarctica

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  There are many ice shelves where deep bore is finding melting.

The other article only mentions the Ross Ice Shelf where freezing ice was found.  However, the Ross Ice Shelf has had its own collapses.

You cannot take the expedition on one ice shelf and determine that no shelves are melting.

Pine Island and Thwaites are not the same as the Ross Shelf.

Honored Contributor

Sorry @Cakers3, just not a believer. I have seen and heard too many conflicting studies by other well respected oceanographers to be convinced. An expert I am not, just too many opposing studies for my liking, sorry!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)