Esteemed Contributor

Another urgent prayer request for Mister Schmoo

Friends, Schmoo has been struggling with some major discomfort. Saturday night we had a brief and wonderful breakthrough -- he played a little, marked a lot of territory with cheekie rubs, etc. He did his patented "flop, drop and roll." So he has had some bright moments too, but last night (Sunday) he was miserable, could not get comfortable at all and started to hide under our bed. He would come out when I called him. He hasn't had a BM since Saturday a.m., and that was soft.--he tried to go many times last night, but couldn't and got frustrated and used his scratching post to scritch a bit. His pain medication not only didn't seem to help him, it seemed to make him worse.

We rushed him to our vet of course, where he is now. He's definitely badly constipated, and if he's having back pain, he needs an enema to get that out. Additionally, they tried to do a chest x-ray because his heart rate was racing a lot--much more than usual--and our vet is concerned that something's pressing on the heart/spine/lungs and causing this. We have to call at 4:30 to get the result (they did one, and he moved, so they're going to try again and do the enema). If the X-ray shows nothing, a vet who travels to ours to do ultrasounds will do one later this week (if his condition stabilizes) to get a better look at what may be the problem.

The strange thing is: he wants to eat and drink and as of early this morning, be near me, his Mom, as usual. But something is making him hurt badly.

I'm terrified we're losing our boy and beg for your prayers.