Honored Contributor

Re: Another typical delivery day from Amazon

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

@songbird lol   I don't think it's magic.  I think it's the millions of dollars they collect from Prime users like me who don't order much of anything during the year. 

I did give up Prime after I realized how much each delivery cost me (about $11 each), but I get that it's a great deal for some of the millions who pay for a membership fee.  Now I just order and pay as I go along -  never seems to cost me what Prime would -  unless I start buying more stuff, but that just isn't where my head is right now.  Working hard to buy less.

Now I just wish the Prime members in my development would be more responsible for correct recycling all their boxes!

@millieshops

I think what you said that I bolded ---NAILED IT!!!  

This is from an article in New Yorker Magazine...

A Skeptic’s Guide to Whether Amazon Prime Is Worth It

By Jake Swearingen 7/5/17...............

Is Amazon utilizing sunk-cost fallacy to make me buy more.

You’re not entirely wrong! The reason Amazon is willing to subsidize all that free two-day shipping on anything is that the company knows people with a Prime membership tend to use Amazon more. The upfront nature of paying for a full year of Prime can induce a certain feeling that you need to “get your money’s worth” — which can lead to impulse purchases of small items just because it’s easier than going to the store and it’s free to ship.

And it should be noted that Amazon isn’t always the best deal — I highly recommend installing a plug-in like Wikibuy that’ll automatically check for cheaper prices than what Amazon is offering (though those cheaper prices will almost always mean slower shipping).

It all comes down your shopping habits and how much you end up using it. Only order four things a year off Amazon? Prime is probably not gonna be a deal. Some third party vendors also offer free shipping if your order is $25 or more. Now if you order dozens and dozens of things off Amazon every year? Prime will probably pay for itself.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@SpurtThanks for that article -  it certainly talks to what I've felt for a long time, but without the research.

I have a neighbor who has Prime and at least once a week, she seems to be promising NOT to buy anything else that's not a need -  and then the very next day she has placed another order!

I'm convinced that the more "free" shipping is offered (whether it's Amazon, HSN, QVC, or any other retailer), the real advantage goes to the retailer, not to us.  When the credit card is connected and it takes just a few minutes of looking and clicking, many customers buy more than they would if they had to get off their chairs and shop in a local store. 

I always assume that concept is why advisors like Dave Ramsey and others tell people who are in debt to cut up their credit cards and eliminate the temptation.  .

Honored Contributor

Amazon Prime is more than free shipping.  We were paying almost $100 a year for Netflix.  Prime was $99 and included movies and free shipping.  

Even if we don’t order much, we get our money’s worth by getting kindle books and movies.

I see Prime is going up.  It will stilll save us money.

i would never join Prime only to get free shipping.  It would not be worth it for us.

every situation is different.

Esteemed Contributor

For us, Amazon Prime makes sense.  Some people are unaware of the huge a variety of goods they sell.  No, we don't buy more because of free shipping.  But when we can save on items we want, of course we take advantage of free shipping and very quick delivery.  We have never had a problem with anything we have ordered.  That is just our personal experience.  

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

For us, Amazon Prime makes sense.  Some people are unaware of the huge a variety of goods they sell.  No, we don't buy more because of free shipping.  But when we can save on items we want, of course we take advantage of free shipping and very quick delivery.  We have never had a problem with anything we have ordered.  That is just our personal experience.  

I do my grocery shopping using Amazon. Heck, anything I want I can get it Amazon.  Made a mistake? No problem, Amazon will fix it immediately.  I learned my lesson from trying to get beverages from that infamous Taldepot!!! (those of you that don't know...see my post about the awful company) Amazon puts the customer first!  I'm their customer for life.

Esteemed Contributor

I believe that my membership with Prime is well worth the cost!  I get things delivered quickly, there is a good variety and more often that not...the price is better than other retailers.

I have several products on their auto delivery program; they cost less than at many other places..   Every so often, I have had items delivered in open or squashed boxes, I blame the shipping carrier. Amazon has always either refunded all the expense or given me a cut in the price.  Great Customer Service!!

Respected Contributor

For me...A typical delivery from Amazon means no doorbell rang to alert me my package is sitting outside on my doorstep waiting for thieves.   That is annoying!  There is absolutely no reason why their delivery people can't ring the doorbell....they take time to take a photo of my package on my doorstep but can't ring my doorbell to let me know it's there!!  I sent them feedback on this recently.  

Respected Contributor

We love Amazon prime. Besides great shows like Bosch, we order a lot of items. I always comparison-shop, and if Amazon is the same price or cheaper than a brick-and-mortar store or another online retailer, I order from Amazon, because most things will be delivered within two days time.   It shortens my shopping list and saves me time. 

Valued Contributor

No Amazon or especially prime for me.  I hate seeing what this company is doing to brick and mortar stores plus job losses.

Honored Contributor

It seems like whenever I have a delivery scheduled for Sunday, it doesn't happen.  I think they use contract people for those deliveries and they're not dependable.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment