Honored Contributor

Another store closing - AC Moore Crafts☹️

We don't have AC Moore here so this store I always go to when in NJ.  They always have such nice selection of everything & seasonal decor.

I saw on the Philly news they are closing all the stores although maybe acquired by Michael's.  I'm not thrilled with our new Michael's that just recently opened near us.

I hope Joanne Fabrics isn't next because that's my store for all my materials & sewing needs.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Another store closing - AC Moore Crafts☹️

Our AC Moore closed last spring .. Our Michaels moved and

I am not thrilled with the new store either .... We had 2 JoAnn's

close by .. one has closed ....

Valued Contributor

Wow I didn't know that.  However, I did notice back in the early Fall when I went to the one near me the store was not crowded with customers and the inventory was not the same as in other years.  It actually surprised me.  However, I have to say after going to a Hobby Lobby that just opened, Hobby Lobby was very impressive and liked it much better than AC and Michaels.  

Trusted Contributor

@Lattelvr wrote:

Wow I didn't know that.  However, I did notice back in the early Fall when I went to the one near me the store was not crowded with customers and the inventory was not the same as in other years.  It actually surprised me.  However, I have to say after going to a Hobby Lobby that just opened, Hobby Lobby was very impressive and liked it much better than AC and Michaels.  

@Lattelvr   We have several AC Moore stores in the area.  I sure hope a Hobby Lobby takes over one of their locations.  I don't go to AC Moore anymore, and the several Hobby Lobby stores in the general vicinity are about 1 1/2 hours away. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Esteemed Contributor

We had a similar store here called Pat Catans.....you could find anything craft related there at a good price......as with AC Moore, Michaels bought them out.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Wow!  This is the first I'm hearing this! 

I remember going to one of the first AC Moore's in south Jersey when I lived there back in the 1980s.  I loved the store and when we moved to PA I traveled to one that was a bit far. 

Then a strip shopping center about 15 minutes away opened and AC Moore came in with a Michaels right next door!  Whenever I need to pick up craft supplies I usually go into AC Moore before Michaels since it's brighter and nicer.  Both stores are around the same size but I always thought it was so unusual having the two competitors right next door to each other.

ETA:  It wasn't too long ago when I think the craft stores reached their heyday.  I can remember around 10-15 years ago how scrapbooking became immensely popular but then it faded out.  There was a crafting forum on the message board here before the big change. I became friendly with the women on the forum and we even had a group where we exchanged handmade cards. 

At one point during that time I would shop weekly in the craft stores...so sorry about AC Moore!

Respected Contributor

@Lattelvr wrote:

@Lattelvr  Hobby Lobby would be hard to compete with. It's a cross between HomeGoods and Michaels. Love their greeting card section.

Respected Contributor

Oh, darn it all anyway. We had one left in the area.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

I always preferred AC Moore over Michael's back home.  It's too bad.

I'm still not thrilled with Michael's down here and haven't been in one in a few years now.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

Soon we will be buying everything online.I am not very good at that so I won’t buy much.