Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another social security phone scam

[ Edited ]

What's a Google gift card anyway?

Honored Contributor

some good news...FCC greenlights robocall restriction
Federal regulators are stepping up the war on robocalls. The problem has exploded to five billion calls a month, amounting to about 14 calls per person. But now the FCC has given the greenlight to phone companies to block them and they don't need the customers permission.  Also they are working on a device to prevent number spoofing.
JUN 9, 2019 CBS NEWS Laura Podesta

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shaggygirl 

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9057338?hl=en

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I don´t answer numbers I don´t know but a week ago I decided to answer one call and I did a SEINFELD. I said, I can´t talk to you right now, but if you would give me your personal phone number, I will give you a call tonight, She said, I can´t give you my personal number, so I said but you have my personal number. I hung up and then I blocked the number.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have received so many strange calls that unless I recognize the number I don't answer. I've even received calls from someone claiming they were the coach of some type of team that wouldn't stop calling me. No one in my family is on any type of team. I suspect it was a scam of some sort.

Valued Contributor

@this is my nic wrote:

@Brisky 

Imagine my surprise when our land line phone rang and my name and phone number showed up on caller ID!  According to the state Attorney General's office my number was "spoofed", but what are the chances it was used to call me?  I asked if there was anything that could be done; unfortunately, nothing.  The scammers are way ahead on technology. 

I've had this happen 2 or 3 times. The first time, I thought something was wrong with my phone. Then I realized my number was spoofed. I often get spoofed numbers calling. I don't pick up.

Respected Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I don´t answer numbers I don´t know but a week ago I decided to answer one call and I did a SEINFELD. I said, I can´t talk to you right now, but if you would give me your personal phone number, I will give you a call tonight, She said, I can´t give you my personal number, so I said but you have my personal number. I hung up and then I blocked the number.

______

Classic response!!Smiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

@shaggygirl 

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/9057338?hl=en

@Spurt 

Thank you SPURT. I followed your link, had never heard of googleplay. Now I know.

Trusted Contributor

@this is my nic : I’ve had that happen to me several times. I just have to laugh and block it. I never answer any number I dint know.

i pick up and hang up in onwfell swoop. Cox has provided nomorerobo for subscribers but calls can slip thru every once in a while. 

Honored Contributor

Scammers of this one found my phone number too a couple of weeks ago. For about a week I was getting this same call from robo bob or bill or chuck - who knows.

The first time we get a call like this it does kind of freak us out - it did me. But then I got smarter than robo bob and KNOW that govt departments/offices like the SSN or medicare or the like DOES NOT CALL US unless we truly are waiting to hear from a medicare agent.

The calls to my phone stopped after a week or so.

Let us not be caught off guard or just downright stupid about such robo calls. DO NOT PLAY INTO THESE. HANG UP IMMEDIATELY. Don't let robo bob intimidate US.