Honored Contributor

Another social security phone scam

Our local TV station highlighted a new scam.  Someone calls from the SS office AND HAS YOUR SS NUMBER.  So people think its a real call and give them any info they ask for.  The government never calls you, period, whether you owe them money or not.  These people wanted money transferred to a gift wallet to buy Google gift cards to pay them, since they told you to empty your bank account before someone got it.  Yeah, them, when you complete these steps.  What makes me uneasy is the fact they know your number.  Hang up.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Another social security phone scam

There are million different scams out there.  They all depend on one thing....people giving their personal information to some stranger calling them on their phone.  It doesn't surprise me that this one would have someone's SSN.  Our SSN's are not private.  They are out there in the "universe"; we have all been using them for everything our entire lives.  They say that doctor's offices are the "hot" place to get SSN's and addresses now because the SSN's are on Medicare cards and the records include all of our personal information.  When I went for PT, I was surprised that the registration form asked for my SSN.  I asked them why they needed that and the registration person didn't know, she said that it just comes on the printed forms them use.  I could leave it blank if I wanted to,  I did.  But any clerk, office temp etc who worked in that dept, has access to hundreds of SSN's and the phone numbers.  It's scary.  

Respected Contributor

I got 2 in one day.....hit the 'block call' button.

First was a call, then second was followed by a text.... (deleted) Something about my accts being totally compromised or I'm in deep trouble....🙄 right, sure....honestly.

.  .  .  .

I'm like: "Alrighty then, go ahead and be me..it's no cake walk idiots!" 😛

(I love emoticons 😋) Just so darling!

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Esteemed Contributor

Gosh your afraid to answer the phone! Thanks for the heads up m

Respected Contributor

Before I answer the phone I know who is calling. It comes off as spam or unknown or strange number.
I block and delete immediate.😊
You can't find me anywhere, Facebook no. Nada. Just here on these forums. Keeps me safer.
Honored Contributor

I keep getting voice message from a person who gives their name but never address my name to call them about an unsecured loan repay.  I don't have any unsecured loans.  I blocked that #

Respected Contributor

@Brisky 

Imagine my surprise when our land line phone rang and my name and phone number showed up on caller ID!  According to the state Attorney General's office my number was "spoofed", but what are the chances it was used to call me?  I asked if there was anything that could be done; unfortunately, nothing.  The scammers are way ahead on technology. 

Respected Contributor

@depglass 

Better yet don't answer your phone for any old number calling.    If you don't know who it is , don't just pick up the phone.

Let them leave a message.   That gives you time to check the number out.   Time to google.   Time to call the SSA on their REAL number not just some fake number.   Time to thing -- "does this seem real?   Would the SSA (or any other govt agency ) be calling me?"   

Just because a phone rings, we don't have to answer it.   

Respected Contributor

You bet they are! That's why this is the only place I come.
Their are so many professional scam artists out there!
You will never find me on facebook or anything else.
I have always been to Leary to trust anything that I have had to join into.... CAUTION is the answer!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't understand why anyone would fall for some of these scams... People don't get the BIG CLUE---- anytime, any call, someone asks for payment in gift cards--- laugh in their face, hang up, and block the number...it's a scam...its that simple....Share with everyone you know

Image result for cat using rotary phone

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”