Esteemed Contributor

Re: Another side to the free rent issue

All I know is, there are a lot of good, decent  people who through no fault of their own, are struggling to just get by.

Yes, they are making more on unemployment, than they would if they got a part-time, minimum wage job. These people are NOT living high off the hog, eating steak and lobster and cavier, and drinking Crystal Champagne.

Let me make one thing 100% perfectly, abundantly, crystal clear. I am NOT talking about the scammers! Got it?

These  good, decent people will soon be out in the street, or living in their vehicles,  if a solution  isn't found that satisfies both parties.

I get that the landlord needs to pay the mortgage. I get that. I do.

But people need to understand that it isn't easy for the renter either.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Ugh. Another thread without all the info in the main post.

And then a bunch of free associating responses that shoehorn in various agendas, some benign some really ugly.

Just try assuming your fellow humans are decent -- as your starting point. Makes it much more pleasant to read posts written from that perspective.

'Oh boy the whole world sucks and everyone but me is a bum'...is a tedious post template to read over and over again around here. We get it. You hate humanity because you are so jaded about life. And anything nice is pie in the sky for you. Fab.

But I bet if you were in a better mood, you'd post something life affirming and fun. I love that side of people.

Love it @Porcelain 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA 

A spokesman for the Department of Justice said it planned to appeal the ruling. It also seeks a stay of the decision, meaning the ban would remain in effect throughout the court battle.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/05/federal-judge-lifts-eviction-ban.html

Esteemed Contributor

Yup@Anonymous032819 Through no fault of their own.  Doing ok probably until Covid.  Don't corps get help?  The individual should be given some too.  That's what this was an attempt at.  Not to give away something for free for a lifetime.

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   wrote: 

My daughter wants to buy a house in Colorado. I told her to wait just a little longer. Eventually the COVID rules that are protecting people who aren't paying mortgages or rent will be lifted.

Then the cr@p will hit the fan. Banks will have a large amount of mortgages where the people who didn't pay won't be able to collect almost a years worth.

To a degree you are correct but most banks are simply delaying payments and adding them to the end of the mortgage term extending when the final payment is due.

I think the ones in most jeopardy under those circumstances will be those that have a balloon payment which will be much larger than anticipated.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

As usual, I'm late to the game.

1) Laws regarding the rights of tenants and landlords DIFFER STATE TO STATE as well as COUNTY TO COUNTY in the same state. What you can't imagine is possible because it isn't the law where you live means nothing because it CAN be the law for someone else. You have to compare apples to apples and if your laws are not the same, you simply can't do it. This thread shows how different the laws are across the US.

2) Homeowners did NOT get a reprieve from paying their mortgage. Renters DID. So, if Bob and Sue choose to NOT pay their rent (and trust me, there are many who COULD have paid and chose NOT to), the homeowner still had to pay their mortgage. Unless you have no mortgage or you have a LOT of money in the bank (and if you do the research on the profit margin of a rental, you'll understand it isn't much), you're going to be in financial trouble very quickly. This was the reason DH and I did not purchase a home when we first moved to Florida: we were having ****** tenant applications and had to pay our mortgage and rent for about 5 months. It was a nightmare. We wound up getting great tenants when we upped the credit score limit AND increased the rent. Who knew? Anyway, we had the money to do that. But knowing it can happen again, we limited the amount of money we would spend on a house.....and there isn't anything in that price range now. So, we'll be renting for a long time as long as OUR landlord doesn't choose to sell.

3) I understand what the OP was saying. Basically, the homeowner now needed to sell the house because HER income had stopped since her husband died. The house would provide her with needed money. The thing is, she can't evict her tenants, she can't force them to allow showings, she can't make them pay the rent, she can't do ANYTHING because of COVID restrictions. Yes, renters are SUPPOSED to pay everything they owe but.....that isn't what the landlords I know are seeing (or Realtors). I mentioned we had ****** applications; the majority had skipped out on their landlords for the rent they owned and were looking for a NEW place to rent (our home). The laws in our county in MD protected them and .....IMHO, it's wrong. But there will always be those who will play the system. Some will file bankruptcy (we saw that too). Some will have a friend or family member rent it and then they move in instead (we caught one who was going to do that with our house)....you have no idea the games unless you're renting something out.

4) Then you have the landlords who are NOT mom and pop but HUGE corporations and they're raising the rent in amounts you can't believe. OR, you find out that your landlord is selling the house and you have 30 days to find a place to rent (good luck with that) AND find movers (good luck with that again) OR move yourself out (and good luck securing a U-haul). It's a nightmare due to the market now.

Bottom line: the ones who are doing well are those who have deep pockets and easy access to cash plus have a home to live in with no worried about having to sell or move. Everyone else who needs a place to live is fighting the ugly fight. I know....we've been in it for 5 months until 24 hours ago when we found out that our landlords (who WERE going to sell but refused to tell us) got hit with some new rental law and well....better for them to renew the lease with us since they went PAST the notification date. Lucky us!

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I didn't read all the replies .... but it was in the news that:

Federal Judge Overturns National Eviction Moratorium | HuffPost

@ALRATIBA,  subsequent to that ruling the judge put on stay on the order.  The moratorium is still in effect pending further review.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

You can sell a house with tenants.  It sounds like the friend was trying to evict them.

How about this - and google it if you don't believe it.

In CA, a couple bought a house and paid cash.  The owner then refused to leave - after receiving the cash and where there was absolutely NO agreement that he could stay beyond the closing.  I.E. he was NOT a renter.

The judge ruled they could not make him leave due to COVID.  Again, he was NOT a renter - and clearly he was not destitute since he had the full amount of the sale of the house in cash.

Everything is crazy now.  It almost doesn't matter what the law says or what makes sense - if judges rule in such a fashion and get away with it.

That was a scam pure and simple @Isobel Archer .  Nothing to do with free Covid rent. 

These scams have been on craigslist for years where people try to rent or sell homes they don't even own.  Years.  I tell you years this has been going on.  That's why officials tell people don't send money to anyone through the mail.

A California couple who purchased a home in cash a year ago has been unable to move in due to a coronavirus eviction moratorium loophole in the state.

Tracie and Myles Albert bought their four-bedroom Riverside, California, dream home in cash for $560,000 last year, but the previous owner has refused to move out despite having the money in his account.

The couple was shocked to learn that when they arrived at the home to move in, they were told by the seller that he had no intention of leaving.

Tracie told DailyMail.com that she and her husband paid the seller the entire sum in cash.

She said she was told by the Riverside County Sheriff's Office that in order to evict the seller, she needed to obtain a court order from a judge.

In order to obtain the court order, however, she needed to file paperwork with the county proving that the property belonged to her.

Tracie told DailyMail.com that by the time she had filed all of the paperwork to evict the seller, the state imposed its COVID-19 shutdown and there were no judges in the local courts that would execute  eviction notices.

Esteemed Contributor

@FiddleDeeDee wrote:

As usual, I'm late to the game.

1) Laws regarding the rights of tenants and landlords DIFFER STATE TO STATE as well as COUNTY TO COUNTY in the same state. What you can't imagine is possible because it isn't the law where you live means nothing because it CAN be the law for someone else. You have to compare apples to apples and if your laws are not the same, you simply can't do it. This thread shows how different the laws are across the US.

2) Homeowners did NOT get a reprieve from paying their mortgage. Renters DID. So, if Bob and Sue choose to NOT pay their rent (and trust me, there are many who COULD have paid and chose NOT to), the homeowner still had to pay their mortgage. Unless you have no mortgage or you have a LOT of money in the bank (and if you do the research on the profit margin of a rental, you'll understand it isn't much), you're going to be in financial trouble very quickly. This was the reason DH and I did not purchase a home when we first moved to Florida: we were having ****** tenant applications and had to pay our mortgage and rent for about 5 months. It was a nightmare. We wound up getting great tenants when we upped the credit score limit AND increased the rent. Who knew? Anyway, we had the money to do that. But knowing it can happen again, we limited the amount of money we would spend on a house.....and there isn't anything in that price range now. So, we'll be renting for a long time as long as OUR landlord doesn't choose to sell.

3) I understand what the OP was saying. Basically, the homeowner now needed to sell the house because HER income had stopped since her husband died. The house would provide her with needed money. The thing is, she can't evict her tenants, she can't force them to allow showings, she can't make them pay the rent, she can't do ANYTHING because of COVID restrictions. Yes, renters are SUPPOSED to pay everything they owe but.....that isn't what the landlords I know are seeing (or Realtors). I mentioned we had ****** applications; the majority had skipped out on their landlords for the rent they owned and were looking for a NEW place to rent (our home). The laws in our county in MD protected them and .....IMHO, it's wrong. But there will always be those who will play the system. Some will file bankruptcy (we saw that too). Some will have a friend or family member rent it and then they move in instead (we caught one who was going to do that with our house)....you have no idea the games unless you're renting something out.

4) Then you have the landlords who are NOT mom and pop but HUGE corporations and they're raising the rent in amounts you can't believe. OR, you find out that your landlord is selling the house and you have 30 days to find a place to rent (good luck with that) AND find movers (good luck with that again) OR move yourself out (and good luck securing a U-haul). It's a nightmare due to the market now.

Bottom line: the ones who are doing well are those who have deep pockets and easy access to cash plus have a home to live in with no worried about having to sell or move. Everyone else who needs a place to live is fighting the ugly fight. I know....we've been in it for 5 months until 24 hours ago when we found out that our landlords (who WERE going to sell but refused to tell us) got hit with some new rental law and well....better for them to renew the lease with us since they went PAST the notification date. Lucky us!

@FiddleDeeDee 

3) I understand what the OP was saying. Basically, the homeowner now needed to sell the house because HER income had stopped since her husband died. The house would provide her with needed money.

WHERE WAS THE HOMEOWNER GOING TO LIVE?  COULDN'T SHE REMAIN WHERE SHE WAS BEFORE SHE DECIDED TO SELL THE HOME?  WHERE WAS HOMEOWNER LIVING BEFORE HUSBAND DIED?  SHE HAD TO PAY TO LIVE WHEREVER SHE WAS DIDN'T SHE?

The thing is, she can't evict her tenants, she can't force them to allow showings, she can't make them pay the rent, she can't do ANYTHING because of COVID restrictions.

OP NEVER STATED THAT TENANTS DIDN'T PAY THE RENT.   TRUE NO EVICTIONS RIGHT NOW BUT THAT WAS OBVIOUSLY FOR PEOPLE WHO COULD NOT PAY THE RENT.  THERE WERE A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT NEVER EVER STOPPED PAYING THEIR RENT.

Yes, renters are SUPPOSED to pay everything they owe but.....that isn't what the landlords I know are seeing (or Realtors). I mentioned we had ****** applications; the majority had skipped out on their landlords for the rent they owned and were looking for a NEW place to rent (our home). The laws in our county in MD protected them and .....IMHO, it's wrong. But there will always be those who will play the system.

WE DON'T KNOW THE STATE OR IF THE WOMAN WAS TRYING TO EVICT BEFORE TENANCY LEASE IS OVER. 

Some will file bankruptcy (we saw that too). Some will have a friend or family member rent it and then they move in instead (we caught one who was going to do that with our house)....you have no idea the games unless you're renting something out.

I still believe this was an attempt to begin a broader discussion we're not supposed to do here. 

Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset  According to my attorney she would not have had a month to month tenancy because I never agreed  to allow her to stay past her lease. That's why she kept calling me to get me to agree to it . I never did .I just kept saying I'm not giving her permission to stay & I expected her to vacate by the end of May.It bothered her that if she stayed It would have been without permission so she left.

I was also told not to cash any rent checks once the lease expired.To hold them until she left, then cash them. Once she saw that I didn't cash her check she was gone!!