Respected Contributor

Re: Another side to the free rent issue

@qbetzforreal wrote:

You can sell a house with tenants.  It sounds like the friend was trying to evict them.

How about this - and google it if you don't believe it.

In CA, a couple bought a house and paid cash.  The owner then refused to leave - after receiving the cash and where there was absolutely NO agreement that he could stay beyond the closing.  I.E. he was NOT a renter.

The judge ruled they could not make him leave due to COVID.  Again, he was NOT a renter - and clearly he was not destitute since he had the full amount of the sale of the house in cash.

Everything is crazy now.  It almost doesn't matter what the law says or what makes sense - if judges rule in such a fashion and get away with it.

Honored Contributor

I don't know the circumstances the OP wrote about.

However it reminded me of a house my late husband and a partner bought.

We knew ahead of time it was going to be hard to get the poacher out of the house.

The original owner had been trying for more than a year to get the renter out.  He was a lawyer and his knowledge of the law plus he dug in his heels and refused to move.

I don't remember the details of how my husband's partner got this guy out of the house.  It took another few months; but he eventually moved.  It was the partner's job to deal with things like that.

Another thing we found is that often it can be difficult to deal with the local laws.

My daughter wants to buy a house in Colorado.  I told her to wait just a little longer.  Eventually the COVID rules that are protecting people who aren't paying mortgages or rent will be lifted.

Then the cr@p will hit the fan.  Banks will have a large amount of mortgages where the people who didn't pay won't be able to collect almost a years worth.  

The banks will be selling off these houses at a loss ( their loss).

It blows my mind wondering how people who haven't been able to pay; either as a renter or homeowner is expected to come up with a year's worth of payments.

Houses in Colorado are crazy expensive for what you get.

Houses where I live are going for many thousands of dollars OVER what they've been appraised at.

This Va/DC/Md area is pretty much recession proof because probably as much as AT LEAST 60, 65% of the people work for the government.

As most know, the government always pays those it employs.

My daughter came here to Va last Spring to help me when I broke my back.  She stayed around 4 months.

She's back now.  She handles everything I've put off as far as fixing and updating my house.  She decided to change professions.  She's back at school on line.  I have plenty of room for her and her dog.  This is where she lived all of her life so she feels comfortable here.

I apologize I've totally gone off topic, but it's somewhat about houses.

I started out trying to say I can see both sides of the problems COVID created.

My heart goes out to both the renters and the owners.  They both have legitimate arguments for making payments.

The owner of the houses are the one's who are suffering the most.  It affects the owner's credit rating if they can't pay the mortgage of the rented house because they aren't getting the money from the renter.

The money problems start at the bank and dribble down to the mortgage owners, finally resting on the renters.

Unfortunately, I hear whispers in my ears saying that dreaded word "recession".

Esteemed Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@gertrudecloset @chickenbutt 

Just to follow up and to clarify.   Tenants don't have the 'right' not to show the house, but in the real world there are some tenants who refuse to allow showings.  A landlord would need to fight in court, get the sheriff to evict, etc. and this can be a very long process.  Years even.  

I'm sure you're right.  However, I believe this may be jurisdictional.  Not all states are the same.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@depglass   You stated......

"if one has no way to catch up the balance when the moritorium is over, that would be a free rent situation, but not of the tenant's choosing."

"The case went to court and the the judge ruled in favor of the tenants, who seemed to be retired with guaranteed income."

Where does the "free rent" come into play if these tenents have a guaranteed income?  confused.gif

It doesn't @Mz iMac .  You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know what this thread was attempting to do.  None of it.  Not one lick of it makes any sense.  It's the weekend.

Honored Contributor

I didn't read all the replies .... but it was in the news that:

Federal Judge Overturns National Eviction Moratorium | HuffPost

Esteemed Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@depglass   I heard somewhere that you can still be evicted during this covid time due to the landlord doing "renovations".

My son rents an apt and the people below him were evicted and now they are doing some upgrades in their apartment.  

That may be the loophole that landlords are using to evict people. 

Why would a landlord want to evict a paying tenant to do "renovations?"  Under the Covid Law, those renovations must wait (unless not doing so interferes with the hability of the home in which the tenants were living).  Then at the point, I'll bet that they have to get temporary housing and might be allowed back in @CAcableGirl2 

Esteemed Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@qbetzforreal wrote:

You can sell a house with tenants.  It sounds like the friend was trying to evict them.

How about this - and google it if you don't believe it.

In CA, a couple bought a house and paid cash.  The owner then refused to leave - after receiving the cash and where there was absolutely NO agreement that he could stay beyond the closing.  I.E. he was NOT a renter.

The judge ruled they could not make him leave due to COVID.  Again, he was NOT a renter - and clearly he was not destitute since he had the full amount of the sale of the house in cash.

Everything is crazy now.  It almost doesn't matter what the law says or what makes sense - if judges rule in such a fashion and get away with it.

That was a scam pure and simple @Isobel Archer .  Nothing to do with free Covid rent. 

These scams have been on craigslist for years where people try to rent or sell homes they don't even own.  Years.  I tell you years this has been going on.  That's why officials tell people don't send money to anyone through the mail.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I didn't read all the replies .... but it was in the news that:

Federal Judge Overturns National Eviction Moratorium | HuffPost

Very interesting @ALRATIBA .  It won't affect each individual state.  People in my state still can't be evicted and none are on the horizon.

The problem with this case is "did the CDC" have authority to impose this moratorium as opposed to the.....Health and human services agency?

Esteemed Contributor

WHEW....I read most of this 'document'...........and feel no smarter than when I began.

LOL

Honored Contributor

Ugh. Another thread without all the info in the main post.

And then a bunch of free associating responses that shoehorn in various agendas, some benign some really ugly.

Just try assuming your fellow humans are decent -- as your starting point. Makes it much more pleasant to read posts written from that perspective.

'Oh boy the whole world sucks and everyone but me is a bum'...is a tedious post template to read over and over again around here. We get it. You hate humanity because you are so jaded about life. And anything nice is pie in the sky for you. Fab.

But I bet if you were in a better mood, you'd post something life affirming and fun. I love that side of people.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr