Re: Another school shooting this time in Texas

@Porcelain wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wish we could repeal the 2nd amendment.

Brilliant idea. Let the criminals and govt have the guns and leave law abiding citizens with nothing. So short-sighted. smh

@ThinkingOutLoud   I don't need a gun for anything.  I have never needed a gun for anything.  I don't have any family or friends that need a gun.  So I don't know why you're shaking your head over the original post and trying to dismiss her post.  

I just read a story the other day about a woman in San Antonio who used her firearm to shoot an intruder and defend her own life, are you saying she had no right to do so? If she hadn't been armed she likely would've been murdered in her own home.

That woman's personal rights don't come before the right of an innocent child to survive their day at school. The life of the child should be the priority.

That makes absolutely no sense.  

That's so sad! Maybe one day you can understand why children should be protected from from shooters and other predators. But I can't teach you something like that. It's kind of fundamental. Either that value makes sense to you, or it doesn't.

Yet another condescending post from @Porcelain. So typical.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Brilliant idea. Let the criminals and govt have the guns and leave law abiding citizens with nothing. So short-sighted. smh

@ThinkingOutLoud   I don't need a gun for anything.  I have never needed a gun for anything.  I don't have any family or friends that need a gun.  So I don't know why you're shaking your head over the original post and trying to dismiss her post.  

One day, you will be glad that others have them and can defend you/our country.

@ThinkingOutLoud   I don't have a problem with police officers or the military having guns.  I'm not on the police force or in the military hence the fact that I don't need a gun. 

I'm over 70 years old.  I doubt that there will ever be a day in the future where I will be glad that other people, ordinary citizens, have guns, specifically military assault weapons.

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I just read a story the other day about a woman in San Antonio who used her firearm to shoot an intruder and defend her own life, are you saying she had no right to do so? If she hadn't been armed she likely would've been murdered in her own home.

That woman's personal rights don't come before the right of an innocent child to survive their day at school. The life of the child should be the priority.

That's so sad! Maybe one day you can understand why children should be protected from from shooters and other predators. But I can't teach you something like that. It's kind of fundamental. Either that value makes sense to you, or it doesn't.

@Porcelain   OH PLEASE!  Nobody needs instruction.

By your reasoning, that young mom and her 3 young children should have been attacked by the intruder.  The intruder had rights, not the young family.

That is what is fundamental.  Her life, her children.  The right to protect herself and her children - and she did.

Keep trying to justify a nonsense post.

SMH

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

One day, you will be glad that others have them and can defend you/our country.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

The people ‘who have the guns’ would do not one DARN thing to protect me, or our country.

Please speak for yourself.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand why they don't have  metal detectors and why schools have not implemented other measures  that law enforcement  may have suggested  from prior school shooting to " harden schools " against  these senseless shooting. Also, why is the mental health or threats by students not being taken more seriously

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Homeschool is the only safe option at this point, IMO.

@BoopOMatic    I don't think so.  Then they go to the grocery store or a mall and assume the same risk as being at school.

Exactly @Kachina624. There is nowhere to feel safe anymore and yet Nero, whoever he, she or they might be, just continues to fiddle...

I'm sorry some don't feel safe but "nowhere" is quite a generalization.

Not a generalization at all.  Not any more.  Supermarkets, churches, elementary/high schools, movie houses...all places where (in the past) people never gave a second thought to safety and survival.  Need to pick up some milk, eggs and a loaf of bread...look over your shoulder.  You or your family may not make it home.

I won't buy into the fear. I live in a very safe area. Such places do exist.

@ThinkingOutLoud 

All it takes is one nutcase.  And that nutcase can be living in a very nice neighborhood.  And then everyone says he seemed like such a nice guy.  It's very hard to define a "safe area' nowadays.  I'm sure the people of Sandy Hook thought that they were living in a safe area.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Porcelain   OH PLEASE!  Nobody needs instruction.

By your reasoning, that young mom and her 3 young children should have been attacked by the intruder.  The intruder had rights, not the young family.

That is what is fundamental.  Her life, her children.  The right to protect herself and her children - and she did.

Keep trying to justify a nonsense post.

SMH

You seem very argumentative today. When innocents are murdered, the gun lovers like yourself always get very aggressive in these threads, which are actually about everyone else's horror and mourning due to the loss of life. You don't even seem upset about the deaths. It's so offensive.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

Fentanyl poisoning killed 106,000 last year, and they weren't the Seniors Citizens in society. Ever wonder why we seem to see little media about those deaths?

hckynut  🇺🇸

Thank you hckynut!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Is this the way of the world?  I hope not.  14 lives are gone -- children.  This is so very, very sad.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

I heard on the news, there have been 27 school shootings this year. I think schools are going to be working on more security for their schools.  What a sad state of affairs. Children are now going to fear for their lives when entering what was a safe zone.