Respected Contributor

Re: Another school shooting this time in Texas

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I wish we could repeal the 2nd amendment.

Brilliant idea. Let the criminals and govt have the guns and leave law abiding citizens with nothing. So short-sighted. smh

@ThinkingOutLoud   I don't need a gun for anything.  I have never needed a gun for anything.  I don't have any family or friends that need a gun.  So I don't know why you're shaking your head over the original post and trying to dismiss her post.  

Honored Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Brilliant idea. Let the criminals and govt have the guns and leave law abiding citizens with nothing. So short-sighted. smh

OK, then give everyone a musket.  The Founding Fathers could not have foreseen the types of weapons available today.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud   I don't need a gun for anything.  I have never needed a gun for anything.  I don't have any family or friends that need a gun.  So I don't know why you're shaking your head over the original post and trying to dismiss her post.  

I just read a story the other day about a woman in San Antonio who used her firearm to shoot an intruder and defend her own life, are you saying she had no right to do so? If she hadn't been armed she likely would've been murdered in her own home.

Respected Contributor

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Homeschool is the only safe option at this point, IMO.

@BoopOMatic    I don't think so.  Then they go to the grocery store or a mall and assume the same risk as being at school.

Exactly @Kachina624. There is nowhere to feel safe anymore and yet Nero, whoever he, she or they might be, just continues to fiddle...

I'm sorry some don't feel safe but "nowhere" is quite a generalization.

Not a generalization at all.  Not any more.  Supermarkets, churches, elementary/high schools, movie houses...all places where (in the past) people never gave a second thought to safety and survival.  Need to pick up some milk, eggs and a loaf of bread...look over your shoulder.  You or your family may not make it home.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic wrote:

It started as a shoot-out with border patrol? 

@BoopOMatic   The local border patrol responded to assist.   It did not start out as a shoot-out with border patrol.

The Daily Mail has it wrong.

I am watching all the LOCAL updates. If I see anything to the contrary, I will post it.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I just read a story the other day about a woman in San Antonio who used her firearm to shoot an intruder and defend her own life, are you saying she had no right to do so? If she hadn't been armed she likely would've been murdered in her own home.

That woman's personal rights don't come before the right of an innocent child to survive their day at school. The life of the child should be the priority.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

Homeschool is the only safe option at this point, IMO.

@BoopOMatic    I don't think so.  Then they go to the grocery store or a mall and assume the same risk as being at school.

Exactly @Kachina624. There is nowhere to feel safe anymore and yet Nero, whoever he, she or they might be, just continues to fiddle...

I'm sorry some don't feel safe but "nowhere" is quite a generalization.

Not a generalization at all.  Not any more.  Supermarkets, churches, elementary/high schools, movie houses...all places where (in the past) people never gave a second thought to safety and survival.  Need to pick up some milk, eggs and a loaf of bread...look over your shoulder.  You or your family may not make it home.

I won't buy into the fear. I live in a very safe area. Such places do exist.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't even think right now.

When DS was in elementary school he had a friend from Palestine. His parents had sent him here to live with his aunt and attend school. I remember talking to her one day when I was picking DS up from her house. She said imagine sending your kindergartner to school, or watching your middle school daughter meet her friends at the movies, and not knowing whether or not they would be coming home. 

I couldn't imagine it. Thank goodness I don't have to worry about it. 

I think we're coming closer and closer to that point.

ETA: I am praying for this community, one we knew about when we lived in San Antonio. I'm sure not one person will be untouched by this tragedy. I hope the loved ones of those killed and those injured feel the comfort of others' loving arms and the prayers being lifted for them. And I pray for physical healing and emotional healing. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Something is missing here and I'll point it out.  The woman who defended herself in her own home against an intruder.  All well and good.

The issue we're discussing here, however, is that no one is safe anywhere.  A grade school child certainly isn't going to school armed with a weapon.  I don't arm myself for a trip to a grocery store (although there seem to be quite a few here who might advocate that).  How do children protect themseves when they're not in the safety of their own homes?  Or should children, old folks, etc. go to church with guns strapped to them?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@BoopOMatic wrote:

@KatieB wrote:

@ThinkingOutLoud wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

That woman's personal rights don't come before the right of an innocent child to survive their day at school. The life of the child should be the priority.

@Porcelain   She was protecting her three young children.

Your statement is nonsense, btw.

Get the facts-because her life and the lives of her children came first in that situation, period. 

By your illogical (again) reasoning, her life and the lives of her children should have been sacrificed to prevent an unknown tragedy.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh