Honored Contributor

Another question about Facebook

[ Edited ]

I went to my FB account and followed  the advice of someone to unfollow people that were in my Friends listing, that were not my friends. They said to do this rather than block the people. I only left the few family members that are friends. I am not sure how these other people got listed as friends. Maybe there was something I was supposed to do that I didn't. I only go to FB if I get an email from FB about a post from the few family members that might need to reach out to the whole family quickly in the event of an emergency. This has happened. I really never use the account otherwise. I did not set up my FB account. My niece and husband set it up years ago when my husband got a new phone and my niece worked for a phone company. 

The main point of this post.
Here's my question. I saw that my email address can be available for others to see. I don't want this. Do you keep your email address available for others to view or do you take it down? I want to just remove it. All my family and friends already have it and anyone else I really know could get it from one of them.

Do I just remove the email address that's there for others to see? I had no idea this was even there. My BIL uses Messenger. The choices in removing email include allow just friends to see it. I'd like that down too, since most of these people are not friends. If I do take this email down, will it stop my BIL from sending a message via Messenger? The messages he send are songs he's playing on guitar and we do want to hear those.

Honored Contributor

Re: Another question about Facebook

Your email address is there because that's how you login and that's how Facebook contacts you if needed.  I do not have my email set where others can see it.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Don't remove your email.  In fact, I doubt Facebook would allow you to keep an account without one.

Go into your Settings and set your account so that only you can see your email address.  Facebook will still have it and be able to send your messages to you, but no friends or friends of friends will be able to see it.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh @geezerette This is in my profile and it asks who I would like to be able to see my email.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette @That's great. So there won't be any problem with FB and people can't see the email. 

@geezerette wrote:

Don't remove your email.  In fact, I doubt Facebook would allow you to keep an account without one.

Go into your Settings and set your account so that only you can see your email address.  Facebook will still have it and be able to send your messages to you, but no friends or friends of friends will be able to see it.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@gidgetgh @geezerette This is in my profile and it asks who I would like to be able to see my email.

@Mindy D 

Yes, and I have mine set to "Only Me".  

Under Settings and Privacy>Personal and Account Information>Contact Info>Manage Contact Info.  Then set to desired setting.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette @Thanks, I reset it. 

Honored Contributor

A big thanks to you for your help.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D , if you didn't add those people as your friends, why don't you just delete them?  They won't get a notification that you deleted them as friends.  If you simply Unfollow them, they will still see your posts.  I wouldn't want that. The only reason they might know that you deleted them would be that they would no longer see your posts, but then again, I don't even see posts from my friends half the time.  I don't know what algorithm Facebook uses to decide what posts you see and what you don't.  I didn't even see the post that my sister was headed out on an Alaska cruise the other day.  Half the time I find out about someone's post when they mention it to me and then I have to say no, I didn't see it.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess They wouldn't bother looking at my posts. The only posts there are from me occur when one of my relatives  posts if his mom is ill. I don't care if they see. I just don't want anymore emails sent to me to go to FB and see the newest hotel they are staying at or the stupid post they have about some restaurant where they ate. I've set it up so I don't follow them. Easy.